love foil balloon
love foil balloon
Mandy von Stahl on Unsplash
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

A Reminder for You This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Ah yes, Valentine’s Day. A holiday that you either dread or wait not so patiently for. The minute that New Year’s passes, all of a sudden, every store is filled with stuffed animals with red ribbons, heart shaped chocolate boxes, Valentine’s Day cards exploding with glitter, and mass amounts of pink, red and white that it makes you sick. Jewelry commercials take over the television as department stores scream to buy that beautiful diamond for that special someone with haste. Many people I know hate Valentine’s Day, especially when they do not have a significant other. But here’s the reality I want to set upon you: You do not have to have a significant other to enjoy valentine’s day. 

All the love that a significant other can give you, you can give to yourself. Sure, it is really satisfying to have someone to shower you with compliments, hugs and love. But you do not need someone to love you to love yourself. Every morning, you should wake up, look in the mirror and say one nice thing about yourself. When I am having a bad day, or feel like I am not valued, I like to look in the mirror and say “I am beautiful. I am loved and valued. I am evolving into everything you wish to be and so much more.” 

No matter what, you will always have yourself. You are not going anywhere. In the end, all you have left is yourself. It sounds cliché, but it is a universal truth: you cannot love anyone until you love yourself. So, tell yourself you are beautiful, sincerely and often. Know that you are worth more than anything that anyone else can give you. Do the things that you love with the most might and try new things that scare or excite you. Hug your friends and family tight, laugh with them until you cry. Always continue to seek new opportunities to grow as a person.

This Valentine’s Day, treat yourself to a day of self-love. While every day you should do this, go over the top on February 14th. Buy yourself a box of chocolates or something that brings you joy, have a night in with the girls, or just dress in your favorite outfit, reminding yourself of your beauty and worth. Whatever you do, ensure that it produces genuine joy and love. To reiterate my statement: You are beautiful. You are loved and valued. You are evolving into everything you wish to be and so much more.

Emma Reed

Scranton '22

Emma is currently a sophomore at the University of Scranton studying secondary education with an English concentration. She is a coffee/book addict and a Taylor Swift enthusiast ??
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.