Ralph Petagna, A Successful Student and Inspiration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Hardworking doesn’t even begin to describe this week’s Scranton celebrity. From dedicating his time as the Vice President of the men’s crew team to being a Presidential Scholar, Ralph Petagna goes above and beyond what it takes to be successful. He excels in everything he does at the U and is definitely someone to look to for direction and guidance. Read on to learn more about Ralph and his amazing accomplishments!

Name: Ralph PetagnaMajor: Accounting-Accounting Information SystemsMinors: Finance, PhilosophyYear: 2016Hometown: Robbinsville, NJ

What activities are you involved in on campus? 

• Vice President of the men’s crew team
  • Presidential Scholar
  • Student Representative for the Business Club
  • Member of the Accounting Society
  • Member of the Philosophy Club

Which on campus organization/club that you’re involved in has had the most influence on you and why? The crew team has definitely had the most influence on me here at Scranton. As we are a completely student-run team , we all have to work together to complete everything that needs to be done. As a leader on the team, I have learned a great deal about the management of people, resources and time to accomplish a common goal. However, I think the most important effect the team has had on me is making me a part of a great group of people that I consider family. I have formed numerous close bonds and relationships that I would never have formed if not for joining the crew team.

How did you receive your internship with BBD, LLP? Could you see yourself working for this company in the future?I received my internship mainly through events put on by the Kania School of Management. I met the Human Resources director of BBD at a networking trip in Philadelphia my freshman year, and spoke with her again at the Business Recruiting Expo at Scranton the next month. She invited me to come to their firm for an office visit the following summer, where I met some employees and got a tour of the firm. The next Fall, in my sophomore year, the HR director approached me at the Business Expo with the opportunity to intern at their firm the summer after my Sophomore year. I had a great experience there and learned more than I could have imagined, and will be returning there next summer as an intern. I definitely see myself working there in the future, as I loved the atmosphere and people there.

​Do you find it difficult to balance everything you are involved in on campus, academics and your social life?It can be difficult at time s to balance my activities, work, and obligations. I usually just take it week by week or even day by day and plan my time accordingly. There are definitely some days and even some weeks that I feel like I am constantly moving and busy, usually when I have exams on top of a crew regatta, etc. However, I have always found time to socialize with my friends at night or on the weekends, because I have always felt that was important to relieve some stress and relax.

What is one piece of advice you would give to incoming freshman about getting involved on campus? My one piece of advice to incoming freshmen would be to keep an open mind to the various opportunities the University provides, because you never know what you will find. Coming into college, I would never have guessed that I would end up rowing crew or picking up a minor in Philosophy. You never really know whether you like something until you try it, and it may just turn out to be the perfect fit for you.

Why did you choose to attend Scranton? I chose Scranton for its relatively small size and close-knit culture and friendly environment. Both of my parents attended Scranton and could attest to the atmosphere and experience they had as students. I also felt that Scranton’s reputation and programs provided me with ample opportunities for employment and networking. After visiting campus a few times, I could tell this was somewhere I wanted to be! (and the full scholarship didn’t hurt either!)

Where is your favorite spot to go in the Scranton area? My favorite spot in the Scranton area would probably be Nay Aug Park. It is a beautiful, scenic park that I often run through or visit to get away from the city. I have also engaged in a time-honored tradition of Scranton students at the waterfalls in the wooded area as well…! If we are talking about food and places to eat, my favorite spot is definitely Cooper’s Seafood House. My girlfriend and I often go there for a great meal.

What is one thing most people don’t know about you? One thing most people do not know about me is that I am fiercely competitive, and a bit of a sore loser, in just about any unimportant or seemingly trivial competition or game. Whether it is an intramural or pickup game, or just a match of FIFA on Xbox, it is not uncommon to find me screaming and yelling or giving it my all to ensure a win. I really do not enjoy losing, no matter the event.

If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be?Well I think this answer is kind of a no-brainer, but I would have loved for God to have added just a couple more inches to my growth spurt! Maybe I should have eaten more of those vegetables my mom gave me when I was a kid!

What is one quote you live by? “Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.” – Lou Holtz

What are your plans for the future? My plans for the immediate future are to finish my undergraduate degree here at Scranton while also pursuing my MBA through the 5-year combined program offered through the Kania School of Management. Upon graduation, I plan to begin my career in public accounting, probably in the Philadelphia area or New Jersey. In the long term, I see myself potentially leaving public accounting for the private sector and settling down in the suburbs to raise a family.

Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_