The Powerful Message in “5 More Minutes” by Scotty McCreery

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

If you are a country music fan, you may have heard of Scotty McCreery’s new song, “Five More Minutes”.  If you have not, I recommend you listen to the song. The message held within this song is powerful and one that all people should hear.

In the song, it describes all the good times in life running out and the desire to have five more minutes of those moments and time with the ones you love. Some lyrics:

“Time rolls by the clock don’t stop

I wish I had a few more drops

Of the good stuff, the good times

Oh but they just keep on flying

Right on by like it ain’t nothing

Wish I had me a pause button

Moments like those Lord knows I’d hit it

And give myself five more minutes.”

In life, we have moments that we wish could last forever, but that is not always the case. Time flies by and the good moments and bad moments are fleeting. We need to grab ahold of the good times in life and appreciate those five more minutes that we may be lucky enough to receive.

In life, do not leave important things unsaid, otherwise you will be left wishing you had five more minutes. Tell people that you love them. If you are lucky enough to have the opportunity of five more minutes, be thankful and embrace it. Take five more minutes with your friends, family or significant other and make it count. Life is short and you never know when those good moments will be over. So never leave someone with unkind words or unresolved problems. Make amends, forgive and forget, and always leave on a good note. Do not say things that you may not be able to take back and always tell your loved ones how much they mean to you. Be grateful, tell people how you truly feel and enjoy all the good moments in life.

We tend to look back on life and wish to relive the good moments with a grandparent, friend or significant other. As mentioned in the song, we wish for a pause button for those moments in life. Sadly, however, we may never get that chance, even though we pray to God for five more minutes. Do not take for granted the good times and moments spent with the ones you love. If you are lucky enough to get the chance to have more time with someone you love, then take it because you may be left hoping for that five more minutes.

Thirteen years ago, my family was left praying for five more minutes. With the sudden death of my Uncle, we were left with unsaid words and feelings. We were heartbroken to not be able to spend even just five more minutes with him. We often look back on the good moments with him and we would do anything to be able to experience those moments with him again.

Even if you think you will see someone you love in a week, or you put off saying how you truly feel because you see them every day, time may run out. Hug your loved ones a little tighter and tell people how you truly feel. Time runs out and when it does, make sure you have said all that you needed to.

Junior at the University of Scranton. Studying Human Resources and minoring in Business. Born and raised in New York.
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so