“Pink Week” helps bring Breast Cancer Awareness to Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

This week you can wear pink everyday…  and yes you can still sit with us. October 20 through 24 is Colleges Against Cancer’s annual “Pink Week.” October is Breast Cancer Awareness month and during this week specifically, Scranton students will be buzzing about the cause.

The American Cancer Society reported that about 1 in 8 (12%) of women in the U.S. will develop invasive breast cancer during their lifetime. According to the American Cancer Society, breast cancer is the second leading cause of death in women. While some college-aged women believe that breast cancer is something that only impacts older women, this is a common misconception. This deadly disease can strike at any time. To combat this misconception, Colleges Against Cancer strives to inform students about breast cancer.

Colleges Against Cancer Vice President Mike Ziminsky said, “pink week means a lot to me as my grandmother is a survivor of breast cancer.” Pink Week allows university students to come together in support of breast cancer. The events throughout this week help students encourage loved ones who are fighting, support those surviving and remember those they have lost.

“Pink Week is a week in October dedicated to Breast Cancer Awareness and, as a club, we hold fun activities to inform the University of Scranton community about breast cancer,” said Claire Marangelli, CAC President. This week is packed with events that allow students to have fun while learning about the cause.

Today, Tuesday October 21 stop by the DeNaples Center between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. to “Check Your Melons.” Grab a cup of watermelon and learn about breast cancer.

We all know that on Wednesdays Regina George and Co. wear pink and on October 22 that’s exactly what campus is doing.  Grab your best pink attire and join us for a campus wide human breast cancer ribbon picture. End your night with pink zumba, bring your friends, get in shape and have fun all while decked out in your pinkest outfit.

Who doesn’t love the 90’s?! Channel your inner 90’s girl for henna tattoos and tie-dye on Thursday, October 23. From 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. head to the DeNaples Center for breast cancer ribbon shaped henna tattoos. Then spend your Thursday night tie-dying t-shirts and pillow cases pink.

Say cheese! DeNaples second floor will be turned into a photo shoot, this Friday, October 24. Join Colleges Against Cancer with your friends and show us your biggest smile from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Spend your week in pink paradise as you support and spread awareness for breast cancer. “Whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed” so buy your Pink Week t-shirt and get ready for this week’s events! All week use the hashtag #uofspinkweek while Instagraming your cutest pink week pictures. Always remember to “think pink” especially this week and all month long!

Elise is a Jersey girl who loves to travel the world, she enjoys keeping up with the latest fashion trends and believes an Instagram a day keeps the doctor away. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Writing. Elise is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend Samantha (every brunette needs a blonde right?) This past summer she interned in Public Relations at The Thomas Collective, a boutique lifestyle agency in New York City. When her toes are not in the sand, she’s hailing a cab or packing her bags ready to jet set anywhere and everywhere. Fun Fact: Elise is a member of Scranton’s Equestrian team. Follow her on Instagram @liseyleelee and on Twitter @eliseteresa!