Amelia Kramer-Happy Friends Hrowing The Peace Sign And Eating Ice Cream
Amelia Kramer / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

The One Where You Reconnect With Old Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

I have never been the type of person to dwell on friendships after they’ve ended. I truly believe if someone leaves your life, the best thing you can do is to forgive them and let go. Despite popular opinion, my articles have seldom to never been about friends I’ve fell out with. If I’m friends with someone I truly care about them and respect them. Even if we fall out, that will not change. Have I been known to throw a little shade at my exes here and there – of course. My mercury in scorpio has been known to pop out. 

However, I write my articles to share experience that people may be going through in hope of helping someone who is going through a similar situation. Today’s article is one that I wanted to write about weeks ago. But, crazy scheduling, COVID-19, and school all got in the way as they often do. 

This article is about reconnecting with people. Now listen – if you had a falling out with a friend friend, ex, or family member who truly hurt you and no longer serves you there is a reason you closed that door. Don’t dwell on a relationship where you miss the memories and not the person. Some people are toxic and are meant to stay in the past. 

This is about finding your way back to your people, after a misunderstanding caused you to lose time. 

The details of why there was a falling out are not important to rehash. To give background though, I was apart of a friend group last year who I cared about a lot. There was some boy drama that was causing me to stress because I was scared to lose them because I cared about them so much. Hindsight is 20/20: this was stupid; they obviously would have supported me no matter what. What lead to our falling was a situation where another girl in the group and me got into an argument about something stupid. She told me my friends basically said all this awful stuff about me and never wanted to talk to me again. She told my friends I said awful stuff about them and didn’t want to talk to them. Falling out ensued. 

That is not the point of this tho. Context is just key. Fast foreword to two months ago, in wake of another situation I ended up in a situation where a mutual friend reconnected me with them to talk things out. It was there that we realized we were all lied to. This was extremely shocking, and honestly upsetting. We had spent months living across from each other acting like strangers – but we couldn’t dwell on that. it was time to move foreword. 

This lead us to reconnect. We picked up right where we left off. It’s crazy how you can not talk to people for so long, and immediately feel the same love, and friendship that was always there. Many late night tea times, and group lunches were had. I wouldn’t trade them for the world. 

Of course, we still had some old inside jokes – but new ones formed. It did take a minute to catch everyone up on what had happened on each other’s lives over the course of eleven months – I think we did a pretty great job. We got to connect with each others new friends and reconnect with each others family. We made so many plans, we had months of lost times to catch up on. Unfortunately the pandemic struck, and we were sent home for the semester. We still zoom and are continuing to make those memories. We are all living together senior year. 

The point of this article is to trust your gut. Sometimes we have fallings out with people, but if they really are your people you will always find your way back to them. Keep your heart and your mind open always. Also, if you’re like me and run away from things when they get hard – stop. Way easier said then done, but if you hear something from someone else always fact check it.

And above all, remember: your friends will always be there for you. It may take time, but if they’re your people you’ll find your way back to them :)

This article is dedicated to my people, I love you and can’t wait for this summer. 

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.