This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Happy May 9, everybody! Today is the day that we honor all of our fallen friends…our lost socks that is.  That’s right, someone has taken the time to organize a full day in honor of all the missing socks we have had in our lifetime.  Where did all the socks go? Were they stolen? Did the washer machine swallow them?  These are the questions we have been pondering since the beginning of time.  It’s a classic tale.  One day you buy a 30 pack of socks in bulk, and the next week you’re down to only three.  It’s a vicious cycle.

Many people have interesting theories as to where they all go.  Some say none of them are truly missing, they just had static cling and hide inside our other clothes.  Some even go as far to say that the tooth fairy has a sister who steals a sock in the laundry and that is why we find loose change in the washer.  Instead of mourning our lost little buddies, lets remember them by making use of our single socks we still managed to hold on to. 

1. Make a cute sock puppet toy for kids.

2. Mismatched sock? No way! You got yourself a brand new dust rag!

3. Ever need an icepack and its just too cold for you? Wrap it up in one of your lone socks. 

4. Old college houses don’t have the best insulation.  Leave your old socks in front of drafty windows and doors to prevent the cold from coming in. 

5. Stuff the sock with potpourri and you got yourself a lovely smelling sachet to put in your drawers. 

6. You see a sock, I see a new coozie!  Cut of the tip of the sock and slide it over your drink to keep it insulated. 

7. If you’re feeling crafty, decorate your old sock and use it as a change purse to hold your quarters you’ve been stocking up on for laundry! 

Erin Troy is a junior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a concentration in public relations. She is excited to start her first year writing for the Her Campus Scranton team! She hopes to one day do PR for the New York Rangers, and live in Manhattan. This Long Island native loves shopping and Taylor Swift. Follow her on Instagram @erintroyy!
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so