alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Political Beliefs Do Not Define Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Disclaimer: I’m not here to talk about my political stance or make an effort to convince you all that you’re “wrong” because ultimately, there is no right or wrong side. The purpose of this article is to try to get rid of the unnecessary stereotypes of both republicans and democrats, and to show you that one’s political view should notdefine them. 

The fact that I even feel the need to write about this actually breaks my heart because this is the reason why we’re slowly falling apart. Ever since the presidential election of 2016, our world has been filled more violence, judgment and hatred than ever before. No matter what your opinion on Trump may be, I think we can all agree that this is the most crucial time in which we all need to come together and be united. 

I personally think that many people take for granted how lucky we are to be living in America. Yes, I’m aware that our country is far from perfect, but the positives outweigh the negatives. We are extremely fortunate to live in a country where we can openly discuss our opinions, regardless of what they may be about. Where we can practice whatever religious beliefs we have. Where we can choose to protest or support the government. Where we can come and go as we please. Where we are free. 

One of these rights that other countries are not fortunate to have is freedom of speech; the ability to openly express our opinions and beliefs. However, we now live in a society in which a person’s judgment of someone stems from that person’s political stance. “Who did you vote for?” determines whether someone is a “good” or “bad” person. This leads to the fear of mentioning anything related to politics in order to avoid arguments that may come about. But really, why should you care what someone else’s political stance is? Not every democrat is a liberal snowflake, and not every republican is a racist. We need to stop judging people based on what their political views are because frankly, it doesn’t matter nor does it define the person. 

We need to learn how to calmly discuss our opinions to each other without getting heated. If we were to listen and emphasize with both sides, maybe we would understand a little better why people think the way they do. Stop hating people for having different views, and start loving the fact that our world is so diverse, which is what makes it truly beautiful. 

Gabriella Basile was CC and President of Her Campus Scranton during the 2018-2019 academic school year.