This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

When asked, “who you are inspired by?”, many people will name celebrities, historical figures, Nobel Peace Prize winners, etc., for me the first person that comes to mind is my grandma. This woman was the strongest, most softhearted person I knew. Every visit with her was spent chatting or on occasion painting, her favorite hobby. When I had a hard day, she was there to give me a hug and somehow by the end of my visit we would be laughing or dancing. As time moved on, she was diagnosed with two different kinds of cancer. She still was my biggest supporter when it came to playing volleyball in high school or performing in my various piano concerts. Although the dancing and painting stopped when I went to visit, she still had her cheerful personality and did not let the cancer affect her mood. I learned from her that no matter how hard life gets that it’s important to stay positive. Months passed and things got worse, but that woman could still smile. Due to the cancer, she is not here today, but she continues to be an inspiration to me. I remember that she had a smile on her face in the hardest of times, so no matter what kind of day I am having I always have the ability to make it a good day and not dwell on the bad things. Sometimes all it takes is some good music and a space to dance.

Aubrey Skolny

Scranton '24

Hello! I'm a sophomore from the University of Scranton, currently majoring in occupational therapy and minoring in psychology.