Spoon Csu-Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Muffins
Brook Buchan / Spoon

My Favorite Banana Muffins Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

This year, I live in an apartment-style dorm that comes equipped with a full kitchen! I have enjoyed being able to bake more compared to the past two years, when I wasn’t able to try out new recipes as much. My roommates and I now bake little goodies and leave them in the kitchen for all of us to try. This past weekend, I was feeling ambitious and was in the mood to bake some banana muffins. I had never made banana muffins before by myself, but my family uses this recipe at home. Now that I’ve tried it, I want to share it with all of you!

Muffin Ingredients:

1 ripe banana

¼ cup granulated sugar

1 egg white

1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons vegetable oil

½ cup all-purpose flour

½ teaspoon baking powder

¼ teaspoon baking soda

⅛ teaspoon salt

⅛ teaspoon cinnamon

Streusel Crumb Topping Ingredients:

1.5 Tbsp melted butter

2 Tbsp packed brown sugar

2 Tbsp flour

2 Tbsp Oats

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with four liners.

2. In a medium-sized bowl, mash the banana with a potato masher or fork. Add sugar, egg white, and oil. Stir with a spoon until just combined (mixture will still be lumpy).

3. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Stir until just combined. If desired, stir in ⅓ cup chocolate chips.

4. Divide the mixture between the four prepared muffin liners, filling each a little more than ½ of the way full.

5. Mix all streusel crumb topping ingredients together starting with the melted butter. Mix until crumbly. Add a spoonful on top of the batter for each muffin and slightly press into batter with the back of a spoon.

6. Bake for 18 to 25 minutes, you will know they are done when a toothpick poked into the center of the muffins comes out clean and the tops of the muffins turn golden.

7. Let sit in the pan until cool enough to handle before tasting.

8. Bon appétit!

I had a lot of fun trying this recipe! Even though the recipe is supposed to make 4 muffins, I found it actually makes more. I recommend dividing the batter between six muffins cups instead. Happy baking (and eating)!

Ariana Isayiw

Scranton '25

I am a kinesiology major at the University of Scranton. I am from Westminster, Maryland but absolutely love the idea of living in North Carolina one day! My favorite season is fall, my favorite color is lavender, and my favorite food is sushi. I am not a writer at heart but love compiling short lists that share my favorite things :)