photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

When I was on my way to class last week, I was getting in the elevator and a lady was walking through the door, so I held it open for her. The elevator door started to close and just opened randomly—we didn’t press any buttons, and nothing was in the door. However, as it started to close again, another lady walked through the entrance, so we held the door for her. She immediately thanked us and said she had been running late for a meeting. After she got out of the elevator, the other lady said to me “that was so crazy, that was a mini miracle. Miracles happen every day, but we think they have to be these big events when they can be the little things.” 

After she said this, it really got me thinking. There are so many good things that happen all around us that we never care to realize. We are often too caught up in what is on our phone screen to look up and notice what is going on in our surroundings. I started to make it a point to stay off my phone to appreciate the little things and start conversations with others. Even when you’re just in the elevator, ask someone how their day is—it might just make theirs a little brighter. It is the little miracles in life that sometimes make your day a little easier. However, you must be aware of what is happening in order to appreciate it. You may even learn a new lesson, meet a new friend, or find a new hobby if you just take out your head phones, turn off your phone, and look up.

Alex Guse

Scranton '22

Biochemistry Major Psychology Minor
Gabriella Basile was CC and President of Her Campus Scranton during the 2018-2019 academic school year.