This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Name: Debra Fader

Profession: Administrator for Rehabilitation Services

Hometown: Matamoras, PA

For Inspiration Week, we thought it would be perfect to interview one of the most hardworking and inspirational people we know, Professor Debra Fader from the Counseling and Human Services Department. Every class she illustrates how passionate she is about teaching at the University of Scranton and about her career in the Vocational Rehabilitation field. Check out our interview below to see just how inspiring she is!

HC: What is your career and what does your day-to-day routine consist of?

DF: My career is Administrator for Rehabilitation Services and on a daily basis, it’s managing staff, budgets, and programs – day in and day out duties. It’s negotiations, community outreach, and like I always used to say: “It’s all a la carte. It’s whatever happens that day – no day is ever the same.”

HC: Who or what inspired you to choose this career?

DF: There’s actually a very soft-hearted answer to that. My mentor, my very first mentor, was a state Rehabilitation Counselor. Her name was Pam and she encouraged me, not only to stay in the field, but also to pursue my masters – which led me to Scranton. This also led me to Dr. Bruch, who is also one of my inspirations. Yet unfortunately, Pam passed away about five years ago from pancreatic cancer. So, that’s kind of a sad moment.

HC: What is your favorite thing about the individuals that you work with?

DF: I like to see them smile and grow. I like to give them the opportunity to make choices/ decisions and giving them the resources to do all of that; as well as giving them some inspiration and hope.

HC: If you had to go back in time, would you pick a different career or would you stay with this one?

DF: Absolutely not, I would stick with this. Even though I love to cook and I love to bake, don’t get me wrong, I really believe that I have been gifted to be in this field.

HC: What advice would you give to students considering pursuing a career in the helping professions?

DF: I would say to get started early, make your connections, and get your networks of people out there. Don’t be afraid to volunteer. Go out and search places that you think would be the environment you want to work in and understand the nature of the business. Human service business is evolving and changing rapidly. 

21, Senior, Counseling and Human Services Major and Criminal Justice Minor at the University of Scranton
Elizabeth Transue is a Communication Broadcasting major with a minor in Political Science at The University of Scranton. Her life changed when she studied abroad in London and fell in love with traveling. She is obsessed with her adorable pug, Chikfila, and her eleven best friends who just so happen to be her housemates. She can't hold a tune or keep a rhythm but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it! Am I right?