This is Me Telling You To Take Control of Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

One decision can change your life, change it forever; it changes your life for the better or for the worse.

Some decisions require great thought, while others require none.

Recently, I have been faced with a decision that would change my life forever. A part of me feels so helpless. I don’t know what to do. I feel so powerless in a situation where I have complete control. I know exactly what I want to do. But, I doubt myself. I fear the consequences and possibility of what might happen.

I have sought help from friends. It’s human nature to seek help, to confide in loved ones. I need confirmation that I’m making the right choice.

My best friend tells me that I know in my heart what to do and if other people do not respect my decision, they do not respect me. She tells me that if the people who love me do not accept my decision, they do not love me.

This is me telling you to take control of your life and own your decisions.

I struggle with control. I struggle with confidence and ownership. I need reassurance and human comfort. These traits do not make me weak. They make me vulnerable.

I’ve doubted myself for too long.

I’ve learned to stop worrying about what others may think of me, what they may say behind my back or to my face.

This is me telling you that you are exactly where you need to be. Sure, life is constantly changing. And at times, you’ll be faced with decisions that make your stomach roar and your brain spin. But you are in control. Do not let what others think or say determine your future.

Though it may take time for you to come to your decision, you are making the right choice.

You are in control. Don’t let power fall into the wrong hands.

Mackenzie Mickavicz is a senior at The University of Scranton who majors in strategic communications with a public relations track and concentrations in women's and gender studies. This is her second year as CC of Her Campus Scranton. She loves coffee, candy and cupcakes.
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.