jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Mandeville, Jamaica: A Community I Call Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

I don’t know why I haven’t written about this earlier. I had this experience nearly a year ago, and it has not occurred to me until this very moment to share a reflection of my service trip to Mandeville, Jamaica with you all. To finally put my pen to paper, or well, my fingers to the keyboard and express my gratitude and illuminate a beautiful journey. 

I learned. I learned to be present. I learned to embrace the unknown and make the most of every opportunity and the obstacles life throws at you. 

And I lived. I lived in the present. I lived while embracing the unknown and I lived in the midst of opportunity and obstacles.

Most importantly, I learned to live. I broke outside my comfort zone and pushed myself to past new boundaries. Life is what you make it. You are the leader of your path to purpose and fulfillment. 

June 2018, I joined a group of University of Scranton students and traveled to Mandeville, Jamaica for a domestic service trip. The trip was a part of the yearly International Service Program through the campus ministries. 

Every day was a new adventure. A new adventure filled with new faces and kind souls. Kind souls who warm your heart. Kind souls who you never forget. Every day was filled with magic and joy; the simplistic type of magic and the soothing kind of joy. Every day was magical moments: Shared laughs, high-fives, dances, and sing-along songs. 

I met young people and old people. I visited churches, elementary schools and veteran’s homes. At times, I was overwhelmed. At times, I froze. Yet, the kind words of the pastor who led our group will stay with me for a lifetime- “Don’t ask what you can do, just be.”

Just be. Be you. Be present. Be thoughtful. Be kind. Be generous. Be you. 

People say some experiences change your life. They say that invaluable moments shape every moment that follows. And until I traveled to Jamaica, I did not know the meaning of these phrases- I did not know the meaning of gratitude or kindness. 

I am grateful I have a home. I am grateful for my family and friends and food around the dinner table. I am blessed. 

I am blessed for the friendships I made with peers in my group. They too have greatly impacted my life; I have formed lifelong friendships with the unfailingly kind people I traveled with. We began the journey as strangers and ended it back at our home in Scranton as friends. 

I stepped on the plane at John F. Kennedy International Airport as Mackenzie, a girl struggling to find her purpose and passion in life. And I stepped off the plane as still Mackenzie, but stronger and journey that will forever guide her and lead her to her purpose and passions. 

Jamaica is a place I will always consider my home. I will never forget the people I met in this country. I will never forget the culture or the experience. It is a spark that will live inside of me, and I hope one day I can revisit this land and continue to grow as an individual in this world. 

Mackenzie Mickavicz is a senior at The University of Scranton who majors in strategic communications with a public relations track and concentrations in women's and gender studies. This is her second year as CC of Her Campus Scranton. She loves coffee, candy and cupcakes.
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.