This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Growing up, I have always been extremely in tune with my Irish heritage. My parents have been celebrating St. Paddy’s day with my siblings and me before I can even remember. Over the years, I have gathered many traditions, and, in honor of the upcoming I would love to share them today. 

The first tradition that my family and I do is attending our local St. Patrick’s Day parade. Since I was a dancer for ten years, I was often participating in the parade. I danced for two miles and though my legs and feet ached by the end, I had never been so in love with dancing. Even after I stopped dancing, my family and I still attended the parade, even taking my uncle’s RV and made the parade into a sort of tailgate. 

Another tradition that I partake in during St. Paddy’s Day is eating Irish Potatoes. I know they sound pretty disgusting but trust me they are delicious! They are little dough balls rolled up in cinnamon sugar and coconut and they are only sold during March. Another yummy food that I like to eat during this time is a Shamrock Shake from McDonald’s. My friend and I have a tradition where we go the week before and indulge in one. We actually just got our shakes this past Saturday!

One final tradition that is especially near and dear to my heart is the movie The Quiet Man. My grandfather showed this movie every year on St. Patrick’s Day to my dad and aunts growing up, who in turn showed it to me and my siblings. To this day we still watch it, and I am planning to zoom in for this year’s viewing. 

These are some of my St. Paddy’s Day traditions! I hope that you enjoyed reading about them. Maybe we even share some in common! Happy St. Patrick’s Day and Erin Go Bragh!

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.