This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

To My Ex: 

I wanted to start this off by thanking you for being an amazing boyfriend and best friend for the past two years of my life. I know the breakup was not easy for either of us but know that I did it because I had to do what was best for me. 

The month after we had broken up I was devastated to say the least. I was crying myself to sleep every night wishing that you hadn’t said what you said, wishing that you had worded things differently, wishing that you had loved me enough to work through this together. Know that I was never angry or upset with you because I realized that there was a reason for all this happening when it did. You will always be my first love, but now I have to love you from a distance in order for me to be happy. 

In case you’re wondering how I’m doing… I’m happy and in a better place. My confidence is at an all-time high and it shows in my demeanor. On top of it all, I have slowly learned what makes me happy and how to be independent again. My relationships with friends and family are thriving as well, which makes me so happy. I can remember what my dreams and goals were without you in them. I want to graduate from college, move across the country, get a well-paying job or be my own boss, own a beautiful home and a fluffy dog. I want to travel and experience life again. 

I know that you had called me telling me that you made a mistake by saying what you said and that you want a second chance, but you’re not going to get it. I have given you many chances in our relationship, so I am telling you this with all the love in my heart… PLEASE DON’T WAIT FOR ME. Go off and be happy on your own, find what makes your heart leap and know that I’ll always be rooting for you from a distance. I can’t let myself fall for you again for fear that this will all happen again. I love myself too much to let that happen. Yes, I have changed but know that I changed for the better. There are still pieces of the girl that you once dated somewhere in me, but there’s a new girl waiting to show the world what she’s got. 

Hopefully we will keep in touch and one day we can look back on our memories with smiling faces instead of tears. Until then I wish you the best of luck with your new future whatever that may be. 

Love, 

Anon

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.