Late Guide to Having a Less-Stressful Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Over one month into the semester and I’m sure we’re stressed out with the amount of work and studying. I’ve unfortunately signed up for 7 classes this semester along with 3 extracurricular activities, so I feel EXTRA stressed out. However, this isn’t my first semester where I had a lot on my plate. Somehow, I managed to survive that semester, and I’m currently doing better at managing this heavy semester. Here’s some tips on how to diminish your stress levels this semester and any upcoming semester (DISCLAIMER: this may or may not help you, but you’re more than welcome to use these tips!):

· Self-Care: I know I’ve mentioned in one of my previous articles and it’s the most cliché advice, but it really helps! Make sure to take time to take a step back from school and work on yourself.

· Organize your time wisely: At the beginning of the semester, I found an app that allowed me to organize my schedule and keep track of all my upcoming quizzes and tests called PowerPlanner. It really helps me to stay on top of things and reminds me when I have a quiz, exam, or assignment coming up. The only setbacks are that you need to pay for certain features like adding grades in and if your professors change the schedule/add assignments that’s not stated in the syllabus, you’d need to change your entire schedule, but I still find the app to be very helpful.

· Try to avoid procrastination: This kind of goes hand-in-hand with the last tip. Much like everyone else, I would rather do things other than homework. However, if you keep pushing things back, you’ll end up being stressed out with an overload amount of work.

· Rid yourself of distractions: This is similar to the last one. I get distracted SUPER easily, whether it’s with my phone, with my friends or with ANY other thing that goes on around me. It’s best to find a place where you won’t lose focus 24/7 and where you feel more accountable to do your homework. I, personally, like to work with a friend who will hold you accountable to focus on your work instead talking constantly (it’s good to be able to work with a friend where there’s a balance of work and socialization).

Johanna Rene

Scranton '23

Hi! I'm Johanna :) I'm a senior neuroscience major. I hope you guys find my articles to be interesting!