Inside the Mind of a Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

The initial feeling of being out of place

It’s not a surprise that the first few days on campus feels a little out of place, especially when you see groups of people everywhere you go running and hugging each other saying how much they have missed one another. It’s almost like you feel like you are on other people’s territory and you feel like you’re intruding. It’s definitely something that takes getting used to.

Walking around campus feeling like a Freshman

You can’t help but expect everyone to think you are a freshman because everyone sees you walking around looking confused and lost. Or because your credits did not transfer correctly and you are in Freshman classes. It’s like being poked down the totem pole and fighting for your right on campus. “I’M NOT A FRESHMAN. I PROMISE.”

Making friends along the way

Just like any new school, no matter what year you are, making friends can seem like the hardest part. It can sometimes feel intimidating walking up to someone and starting a conversation, especially if you are sort of an introvert like me. It can feel like your biggest nightmare. The only advice I can give you is to DO IT ANYWAY! Get out of your comfort zone—it may feel wrong or out of pace from your normal routine, but you will feel so happy afterwards.

Realizing It really isn’t all that bad

After getting through the stages of feeling out of place, being lost and trying to make new friends, comes to time for things to start to fall into place. You have your roommates who begin to feel like family, your other friends who help you survive classes and stress, and you can finally get around campus without looking like a lost puppy.

Although it may seem like the tough times will never end, THEY WILL! I promise! Keep your head up, stay positive and find some really bomb people to spend your time with to make your semester not so bad.

Julia Wardeh

Scranton '19

Julia Wardeh is a senior studying pre-medicine at the University of Scranton. This will be her second year as president and CC of Her Campus Scranton, which she hopes to elevate and expand. In her free time, Julia enjoys working as a barista, reading novels, and looking at the latest memes.