This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

I was born in Scranton, PA in Mercy Hospital and grew up in neighboring suburb of the city. Growing up, I thought Scranton was a miserable place. It ranks amongst the 100 worst places to live in the state. I think this town is extremely misunderstood. Famously known for the Office and being home to “simple” people. It is so much more than that.  

It is so much more than that. It’s a place where people care about their family and love Friday night football. Husbands and wives go to work early in the morning to support their families. We love our Old Forge Pizza and will never turn our back on someone from the area. Someone who embodies the values and work ethic of Scranton, is Vice President Joe Biden.  

He was born on November 20, 1942 in Scranton, PA and grew up on N. Washington AVE. Joe spent his childhood here and made so many memories. He understands what it’s like to have working parents in the Union that have long days. Like Joe, I come from a long line of hardworking citizens. Most of my relatives worked in the coal mines of the regions to provide for their families. Your sweat, blood and tears are not taken for granted here; they are ingrained in the earth.  

What Joe Biden has done for this area is highlighting our hardworking people. Showing the world that we are not just a TV show or a joke. Days here are not easy for everyone and we work for everything that we need. Places like Scranton are the backbone of this country. Even though Joe moved away when he was young, he never forgot his roots. That is our M.O. here in Scranton, you don’t forget your roots. He has given us hope here and that you can always achieve your dreams.  

When I came back home and transferred to the University of Scranton, I was a little embarrassed. I was embarrassed because I did not want to be that kid who couldn’t do it away at school and came home. When I stepped on campus, I knew I was going to be alright. I have had the best three and a half years I could’ve ever asked for. I made the best friends and am having the best experience. Coming home was not a defeat for me, it made me grateful from where I came from. Like Joe, I am thankful I am a native of this area.  

Alessia Brunori

Scranton '21

Life isn't all diamonds and rosé, but it should be... Just a Scranton girl, trying to make it big someday;)
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.