How to Travel on a Budget—I visited 18 countries in 5 months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Since January, I have visited and explored 17 countries while studying abroad. One of the major reasons why I wanted to study in Europe was so that I would have this opportunity to see so many different places, and once I got here, I made it my mission to do so.

I will say that I have probably traveled more than anyone else I am here with, and honestly, I do believe that that is because I planned my travels so precisely and tried to save money when and where I could, and so that you can do it too, I’m going to share how I did it.

1. Travel Cheaply

I know this may seem obvious, but before I started traveling so much, I didn’t know how inexpensive it could be. This means that it will also be less glamorous, but that’s alright. To actually get to the places you want to visit, use budget airlines—Ryanair has become

my new best friend. These budget airlines can be incredibly inexpensive, and really cut down on how much you are spending!

2. Hostel not Hotel!

Staying in a hotel or Airbnb can be so expensive and will definitely add up. Staying in hostels are a great way to be safe, but also not spend a ton of money. Most hostels have female-only dorms to help keep women safer, and personally, I always stay in these types of rooms! There have been some hostels that I’ve stayed in that were not the cleanest, but if you read the reviews and do your research, you can definitely find nice ones. Most of the hostels that I’ve stayed at have been perfectly nice, there’s just the occasional one that’s not great, in my experience.

3. Visit grocery stores

Another way that you are probably going to spend a lot of money while traveling is when you go out to eat, but by visiting grocery stores and getting snacks from there, you can cut down on how much you eat out. It’s so cool to visit grocery stores in different countries, and this way you’ll also end up spending less on food!

4. Public transportation

Take public transportation whenever you can! In most places in Europe, public transportation is going to be the cheapest and most reliable way to get around. Uber is fine too, but it’ll be more expensive and is not available in every country, so check before you go! In a lot of places, bikes and scooters are also available to rent which can also be a fun and cheap way to get around the city!

5. Do the free stuff

Half the time I was in these other countries, I was just walking around the cities, exploring on my own, and getting a real feel for the place. This, thankfully, is completely free and probably the best way to see a city. If you do want to do tours, hostels usually have city tours you can do, and a lot of the time they’re free or you just pay a tip.

These are my tips for traveling around Europe inexpensively! They served me well and I hope they do the same for you on your next adventure.

Shannon Parker

Scranton '24

Hi! I am a senior English major, I love reading, writing, playing with my dog, and hanging out with my friends and sister:) I am also one of the CCs of HC Scranton!!