This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

When I first began the semester, I kept coming across people saying “Wash your hands and be careful of the flu”. Although I’ve always been extremely prone to getting sick while at school, I never thought I would get the flu. Not only does it make you feel SUPER crappy, but it can knock you out for a few days and make you miss almost a whole week of classes. And trust me, that’s not a good thing. When you think you’re finally feeling better, you’re really not, because you’re now drowning in a million homework assignments and quizzes that you’re struggling to catch up on. So just do yourself a favor and follow these tips on how to avoid the flu so you don’t ever have to be in the same unfortunate situation that I was just in.

Get a flu shot

Flu shots have been controversial regarding the risk that they may not work, or may even cause other unwanted symptoms, which is due to the fact that the flu viruses are mutation prone. Even though it is not completely certain that the shot will work, it’s better to play it safe than sorry.

Vitamins

This is literally one of the easiest, and yet most effective, things you can do for yourself. There are an infinite amount of different vitamins you can take, whether it’s a vitamin B or C pill or gummy. My personal favorite way to keep up with my daily intake is by using vitamin powder. They come in small packets that you can pour into your water bottle and take on the go. They’re quite convenient and for the most part, they actually taste pretty good.

Keep your hands away from the Big Three

I’m sure you’ve been told plenty times before not to put your hands to your eyes, nose, or mouth. In this case, that is what I’m referring to when I say the “Big Three”. I know most of you perhaps have a bad habit of constantly touching your hands to your face, but lemme tell ya, that’s the most common way for you to spread germs to yourself and become infected. Try to be more conscious of it from now on. If you absolutely NEED to touch your face, maybe because of an itch, then use your sleeve instead. Your immune system will thank you later!

Don’t sneeze into your hands

Right before walking into class, the girl who sits next to you sneezes into her right hand. You sit down and realize you forgot your pen, so you ask to borrow hers, but she gives you her pen with the hand she just sneezed into. Congratulations because now you have whatever cold she’s been dealing with the whole week. Fortunately, a simple way to avoid this is for us all to just sneeze into our inner elbows instead. That way, we won’t be able pass on germs to others.

Sanitize, sanitize, and then sanitize some more

I can’t stress this one enough. No matter how hard you try, you’re never going to completely be able to avoid all germs. Keep an on-the-go hand sanitizer with you at all times, and use it after touching grimy objects (like a public door or elevator buttons). Bath and Body Works has the perfect mini sanitizers that are so cute to have and come in many fun scents.

Lose the booze

Being a college student, this is obviously more easily said than done. But next time you’re out and taking shot after shot, just remember that alcohol highly weakens your immune system…so maybe just stick to one beer instead. I know most of you probably won’t take this advice, but it’s worth a shot (no pun intended).

Exercise

Physical activity is a fab way to stay healthy because it helps flush the bacteria and toxins out of your lungs. Exercising has so many great benefits, but if it also decreases the chance of getting the flu, then I most definitely recommend it. Just make sure if you do go to the gym, you are wiping down each machine before and after you use it.

Hydrate

Water is so crucial for your body because that’s what we depend on to survive. By drinking fluids and staying hydrated, you are allowing your body to maintain all of it’s different functions while performing at its highest possible performance. It is recommended that you drink at least half a gallon of water each day.

If you follow these straightforward tips, along with the basic “wash your hands and get enough rest,” you’ll be much more protected while avoiding the flu!

Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so