coronavirus medical gear
coronavirus medical gear
Her Campus Media
Wellness

How to Stay Healthy If You’re Living In A Communal Space During the COVID-19 Outbreak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Amidst the COVID-19 outbreak, everyone is suffering in a different way. We are all trying to find our way through this crazy time.

College students living in dorms face some unique risks. “College students, by nature of the fact that they spend a large portion of their time in close quarters with large groups of people (dorms, classrooms, sporting events, libraries, parties, etc.) can be at a higher risk of transmitting contagious illnesses to each other compared to the general public,” Dr. John A. Vaughn, director of Student Health Services at Duke University told U.S. News. Although this can be unsettling, it is important not to panic. 

There are several things you can do – a lot of which overlaps with The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Advice for the public – while living in a communal dorm space to stay healthy and safe.

Wash your hands with soap

The most talked about and important thing someone can do to stop the spread of the virus. There is even a “Safe Hands” challenge on TikTok right now to ensure people are washing their hands from 20 to 40 seconds while singing their favorite song. Be sure to wash hands with soap and water especially after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. Also, before eating or preparing food. 

BTW: Please do not use rubbing alcohol or Vodka for DIY Hand sanitizers. Many experts have confirmed that these viral DIY sanitizers are not safe or effective. 

Practice Social Distancing

This can be frustrating for college students, but it is important to practice social distancing. Large group gatherings should be avoided to avoid the spread of the virus. Instead of having friends come over to the dorm room, try facetiming them instead. Avoid going to public places like the gym, or the library. Additionally, try to avoid close contact with people who are displaying flu like symptoms. 

Avoid Touching your face

Try your best to avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.  If your washing your face, or have an itch, be sure to wash or sanitize your hands before touching your face. 

Clean and Disinfect Surfaces

Clean and disinfect “high touch surfaces” daily. The CDC defines high touch surfaces as counters, laptops, door knobs, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, and bedside tables. 

Clorox Wipes alternatives: The price of Clorox wipes right now is disgustingly high, Amazon currently is very low in stock– and not all college students have access to cars. The EPA Lists these (link: https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2020-03/documents/sars-cov-2-…)  as alternatives: Oxycide Daily Disinfectant Cleaner, Peak Disinfectant Wipes, Peroxide Multi Surface Cleaner and Disinfectant, Purell Professional Surface Disinfectant Wipes, and Sani-Prime Germicidal Disposable Wipes

Quick tip: Wipe your phone down daily with rubbing alcohol to ensure it’s disinfected. This is quick and easy.

Avoid Sharing Personal Items

You should not be sharing water bottles, cups, utensils, towels, bedding, pillows, or dishes with anyone. This will prevent the spread of germs through things that tend to touch your face. 

Take Care of Your Mental Health

It is a very daunting time and it is easy to panic worrying about getting sick, finances being impacted, and loved ones. During times like these it is important to practice self-care and take care of your mental health. If you feel stir crazy or stressed try meditating, going for a walk, or even just doing a facemask. 

Although this is a scary time, it is important to remember that everything will be okay. By taking the precautions in this article, you are giving yourself the best chance to stay healthy and safe during the COVID-19 outbreak. At Her Campus, we are all sending you positive vibes and thoughts. We will all get through this together. 

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.