How Scranton Students Do Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Ain’t no winter like a Scranton winter ‘cause a Scranton winter don’t stop.As all of our students have come to realize, the first month and a half of the “spring” semester is notoriously harsh and cold. If there are icy pits in hell, it is where Scranton lies. Here are some staples of the winter season at The U, and the many struggles that coincide.

Bean Boots for the girls, Timbs for the guys.We all look like lumberjacks but our feet are warm and that’s what matters.

Lots of takeout and delivery.Subzero temperatures mean it’s too cold to trot down to DeNaples. Instead, we spend our own $$$ on some Chinese or a pie from CK’s to avoid frostbite.

Deciding what to wear out on the weekend.“It’s going to be 4 degrees Friday night!” Oh, isn’t that just lovely? Us girls struggle to decide between looking super cute or just rolling squad deep out onto Mulberry wrapped up in your bed comforter. Motto of the pregame: “Drink yourself a jacket!”

Consistently checking the weather app and comparing it to the temperatures back home.“It’s 6 degrees warmer in Jersey. That’s not fair.” Because yes, every degree does count.

The royal common cold.The entire student body has contracted the dreaded back to school illness and we are all coughing and sneezing in unison.

Loving the first few snowfalls……And then it just becomes redundant. Yes, Mother Nature we get that you can do that. Very nice.

Jenna is a senior occupational therapy student here at the U. She enjoys making people laugh, frolicking in warm weather, eating copious amounts of food, and dancing the night away. Follow her on insta @jennarizzy
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_