How I Am Affected by Autsim

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

When you first encounter my eight-year-old brother, Aidan, everything might appear “normal.” However, a person might notice that he is unable to look them in the eye when talking, it seems he is able to talk only about one particular subject, and that he lacks certain vital social cues. Characteristics such as these, in addition to other factors, are what classify Aidan as being autistic. Aidan was first diagnosed when he was one-year-old, and I was an eleven-year-old who barely knew what the word “autism” meant. My family and I took it upon ourselves to do extensive research into the subject since our lives were going to change forever. We learned that it does not affect two people in the same way, and that the degree of severity varies as well. Autism mainly affects a person’s social skills, their communication, and certain behaviors. We learned that Aidan was going to have to begin early intervention, which is where he received multiple forms of therapy in our home every day. And although these changes were new for us, we embraced them head on because we knew this was what Aidan needed.

In Aidan’s case, he is able to communicate verbally; however, he does lack many social cues and partakes in repetitive behaviors as well as experiencing obsessions. For Aidan, sensory is a large factor in certain behaviors of his. He does not eat much because of the way certain foods feel in his mouth. And his shirt tags have to be cut off because of how they feel on his neck. Aidan will occasionally talk in his own language for a short time, and when he is speaking English, he is obsessing over a certain subject he is interested in. When he was first diagnosed, I initially thought that this diagnosis would hinder his intelligence, but I was definitely proven wrong. You can give Aidan any math problem within his grade level and he can give you the correct answer immediately. He can also tell you the name of every single Pokémon card he has along with its description (and he has many cards!) Aidan can make the most complex structures out of magnetic building blocks. I quickly learned that his diagnosis does not affect how intelligent Aidan is, although unfortunately I do not think his peers feel the same way.

Despite being only eight years old, Aidan has made a substantial impact on my life and helped shape me into the person I am today. He has helped shape my future, one that now involves working with special needs children. Without his influence on my life, I do not think I would be where I am today, working toward that goal. Throughout his eight years on earth so far, Aidan has also showed me the importance of accepting all people. I have never encountered a moment where my brother judged another person. You truly never know what a person goes through because he or she’s struggles might not be visible. It is unfortunate that not everyone can recognize that, and yet an eight-year-old can. Unfortunately, certain people around him cannot accept him the way he is. He encounters multiple people on a daily basis who belittle his ability to function in society as well as to learn. I see the way both children and adults treat him. Many times people will ignore Aidan, or proceed to look at him as if he was less of a person than they are. And yet despite all of that, he never responds back with anything less than a smile. I can only hope that more people will be cautious when casting their judgments onto those who do not fit into that mold that society has created. Aidan is just like the rest of his peers, and it is time for people to accept that. He is not different or weird, he is simply unique.

In general, Aidan has a kind of care-free attitude that people crave. He never allows the negativity around him affect his mood. Aidan’s happiness comes from a genuine place, and is present almost all of the time. Of course he has his moments of anger and hurting, but it is short lived and he is right back to his happy self. The pure joy that radiates from my brother is not only contagious, but also inspiring. He has taught me to try to see the brighter side of every situation and to never let what others think of me affect who I am. I have never seen my brother turn away from someone in need, or another child seeking a friend. And yet, countless times I have seen children as well as adults turn from Aidan due to the fact that he is a little different. I can only hope that those people will one day realize that they are missing out an amazing opportunity to know my brother. It is time for society to move past our judgmental ways and begin to accept all people, no matter what their background is.  

The month of April marks Autism Awareness Month, more specifically April 2nd as Autism Awareness Day. Please wear blue in order to help spread awareness and to show your support. Thank you. 

Caitlin is sophomore Early and Primary Education major here at the U. Pizza is her ultimate love, but traveling comes in as a close second. So far she has been to Ireland, France and 12 states, but hopefully by the time she graduates that list will be too long for this biography.
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_