This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Today marks February 9, 2021. In five days, it will be Valentine’s Day. In five days, it will mark yet another Valentine’s Day that I am single. And I’m okay with that.  I think as a society we spend too much time worrying about loneliness that we forget to appreciate its true value. We forget to appreciate the beauty of solitude and independence. You may just think that these are some sad words coming from a single young adult, but I beg to differ.  

Why do we, as a society, dedicate one day out of the year to celebrating love? What about anniversaries? What about weddings? What about birthdays? What about the birth of a child? We are brainwashed to think that if we show love, gratitude or appreciation for a spouse or significant other one day a year, that we’re thriving to say the least. We read articles about cute Valentine’s Day dates, or gifts for our partners. We watch Tik Toks of secret V-day surprises. Yet, we never see media portraying the message that a single V-day is perfectly okay according to the standards of society. And why is that? From my point of view, it sheds light on an imperfection in a world consumed by ideal standards and conceptualized beauty.  

There’s an old saying “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.” However, if my time as a strategic communication major has taught me anything it is that beauty is in the eye of the media, specifically public relation firms, advertising agencies, and even influencers. They create and we perceive. They create and we co-create. We build off the media’s ideas and convey them as our own.  

Don’t get me wrong- I’m not bashing Valentine’s Day. If you love someone, if you’re dating someone, spend the day with them! Go on a date! Have fun! But make sure you’re celebrating the day with your S.O. for the right reasons- not just because the media told you too.  

And if you’re single this V-day just like me, grab your girls and have a night! Or stay home and eat ice cream and pizza- bask in the glory of solitude. Appreciate the peace and tranquility of being alone. There is a difference between loneliness and standing alone. Loneliness is yearning for companionship, while standing alone is a powerful act of independence.  

So, call me the Valentine’s Day Grinch or call me a strong, independent, single woman.  

I am a journalism & electronic media major with a concentration in broadcasting. When I'm not a full-time student, I balance two jobs as well as a healthy lifestyle both in the kitchen and at the gym. Many of my friends consider me the "girlest tomboy" they've ever met. I love all things fashion and beauty but also love quad-riding, weight-lifting, archery, Philadelphia Eagles football and country music. I’m also a full-time dog mom to the cutest two English Bulldogs ever.
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.