pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

HC Scranton Women of 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

In less than 20 days we will walk across the stage to graduate. Amongst the graduates are some of my closest friends but also some of the most amazing people I have ever worked with who also became my best friends. We are all closing a chapter in our lives and I feel we are closing two. Her Campus has been one of the most amazing and influential experiences during my college experience and I am so grateful to this. Below are some quotes and advice from a few Her Campus members that are graduating:

Samantha Milazzo, Strategic Communciation, Moscow, PA
Co Founder, Senior Campus Correspondent, President

Final thoughts/comments on your experience at the University of Scranton:
My experience at the University of Scranton has been life changing and unforgettable. I have transformed in just four years and there is nothing I would change about my college experience. The University of Scranton prepares you not only for the ‘real-world’ but to be successful and above average in the ‘real-world’, I am so grateful for the amazing people I have met and built everlasting relationships with, from professors to peers. 

Words for future students:
The best thing I did for myself was getting involved and keeping myself busy as much as I could. Don’t be afraid to start something of your own, the sky is the limit. If someone does not like what you are doing just remember you cannot cater to everyone and that does not mean you are not worth it. A future employer will not ask you how many hours you dedicated to drinking and going out but they will ask how many hours you dedicated outside the classroom to clubs, organizations, work etc. It’s important to have fun but that is not just what college is about, it is a greatest opportunity to make a name for yourself. 

Kate Foley, CHED, Hartford, CT 
Writer

My experience at The University of Scranton can be described as unforgettable. I have learned so much about myself, challenged my mind, and opened myself up to new experiences every year. These four years have molded me into a strong, independent, hard-working, and kind person. I hope everyone has experienced the same at this school, I love it here.

Words for future students:
GET INVOLVED ON CAMPUS. Seriously. Join a club, play intramural sports, get a work-study job. Do something to better yourself outside the classroom and outside of house parties. Try not to fall into the “living for the weekend” mindset. You only get four years as an undergrad, so enjoy yourself, but also challenge yourself. Think and work on things that are bigger than yourself.

Emily Williams, Strategic Communication, Scranton, PA
Writer

My experience didn’t start out as a wonderful one. I had such a hard time making the transition from the easy, laid-back high school lifestyle to the “oh crap, I actually have to work to do well” college world. After a couple weeks and a lot of bowls of ice cream with my dad, my experience has been life changing. I accomplished things I never even knew I could and I am forever thankful that I pushed myself and kept going when it seemed so awful. I attribute this all to my amazing professors and friends I met during this wild, amazing journey.

Words for future students:
Get outside of your comfort zone! Talk to people, join a club you would normally have no interest in, go to your professors office hours. You will be amazed when you see how far a little adventure can take you. If you want to make the most of this experience, you need to challenge yourself.

Dominique Liuzzo, History, Carbondale, PA
Writer

I honestly am in denial of graduating, I want to be Van WIlder. I wouldn’t change anything about my experience, the good, the bad, the ugly, any of it. It has shaped me into the person I am today, and I am beyond grateful. Scranton will forever be my home, I’m excited for newer students to begin their time here, and have them understand when they are seniors.

Words for future students:
Give people a chance, make new friends, have fun, go to class, become friends with your professors/department, study abroad, take care of yourself, follow your dreams. It goes by way too fast.

Donna Amore, Strategic Communication, Scotch Plains, NJ
Blogs Editor, Writer

Ugh, I might cry writing this, the thought of leaving Scranton is so bittersweet. It is amazing to see how much I’ve changed throughout college. I am forever thankful for everything this institution has provided me with, from PB & J wraps to professors who personalize their teaching styles. Scranton has made love learning. As much as I yearn to be a freshman again, I believe Scranton has gave me the tools to excel as I take on life personally and professionally. I will miss the loving energy I surrounded myself in on campus and with my friends. Seriously, “not where I breathe, but where I love I live.”

Words for future students:
Do WHAT you want to do. Do what you want to do, even if that means you’ll be completely alone.  If you don’t, you’ll block developing the unique individual you are. These four years blessed me with friends who will be in my wedding party, but those friends weren’t apart of the group of girls I did everything with freshman year. I am forever thankful for these bridesmaids because we all embrace and respect each other as individuals.

Yes, Making friends at first is important- keep your door open in your dorm! But remember you have four years to find people who will accept you wherever you find yourself in this thrilling college lifestyle. So that means if you want to go on the freshman retreat, GO. If you want to sit alone on first floor denaples drinking coffee,GO. If you want to spend a weekend night at the movies, GO. If you want to study abroad omfg, PLEASE GO.

What I’m trying to say is if you “GO” You’ll find your true friends sooner or later who will STAY with you throughout any situation. Don’t be a wallflower, explore all the wonderful things Scranton has to offer YOU, not anyone else. 

Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_