This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Save the date for the best fake holiday: Galentine’s Day! Galentine’s Day falls on February 13th every year. This celebration was unintentionally invented less than ten years ago on the hit television series Parks and Recreations. Leslie Knope, star of the show, gathered her closest friends for waffles on the day before Valentine’s Day and thus the tradition was born. “Oh, it’s only the best day of the year. Every February 13th, my lady friends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies” says Leslie. 

Like “Friendsgiving”, this micro-holiday is all about cherishing friendships. Although this holiday started out small, it has grown into a widely recognized affair. Some companies have begun offering Galentine promotions and others host annual Galentine’s Day events. Perhaps the best part about this unofficial holiday is that there is no correct way to celebrate. Leave your significant other at home and do whatever makes your girl gang happy! Popular activities include brunch, wine night, going to the movies, or simply putting on pajamas and pigging-out on your favorite foods. Some friends like to exchange gifts on Galentine’s Day. Friendship bracelets, bath bombs, sentimental picture collages, and coffee shop gift cards are among the perfect Galentine gifts. Ditch your mixed feelings about Valentine’s Day and appreciate a day that is dedicated to ladies celebrating ladies!

Olivia Pisarski

Scranton '22

First-year Biochemistry major at The University Of Scranton.