photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Giving is the Greatest Act of Grace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

In Brennan Hall, located at the University of Scranton, there are words that disperse across the main entrance that read, “Of those to whom much is given, much is expected.” Every day as I make my way to class, I am reminded of this quote and the meaning behind it. 

Having the privilege to attend a prestigious Jesuit University has provided me with an endless amount of interpersonal and transferable skills, core competencies, prosperous opportunities both professionally and academically and connections with fellow students and staff members that will last a lifetime. I truly feel blessed to attend the University of Scranton every day that I am here. 

Seeing as Thanksgiving is around the corner, I have had time to reflect on those who are less fortunate than I am in my own community. As a Human Resources major, part of my curriculum requirement is to fulfill service learning where I volunteer and serve those in need within the Scranton community. 

I’ve been an active volunteer at a local food pantry for the past year. Recently, I have been working at the site quite a bit, as the holidays are typically a time when much help is needed. In between my classes during the week, I dedicate just a few hours out of the day to help assist in the organization and distribution of various foods as well as clothing items. When I see the people, who come in and show such great appreciation for what I do as a volunteer, I feel much gratitude for making a positive impact on their life in some small way. It’s also endearing to meet the other volunteers and hear their stories, as many of them did not have the same opportunities that I have been gifted in my life. 

However, these individuals are some of the kindest and sincerest people I have ever met. There is truly something to be said about opening your eyes to engaging with others who come from all different places, various cultures and all different age ranges. Despite our many differences on the outside, I have found much common ground with virtually every volunteer and employee at the food pantry. 

Through my volunteer work, I have found it to be quite amazing that people from all over can come together with a single purpose- to serve those in need. Many times when I find myself driving back to campus after a shift, I feel as though I have gained more than those I served, just solely from interacting with these individuals and listening to their unique experiences. They inspire me to fulfill my obligation as not only a student, but as a caring member of society.

I strongly believe that everyone would benefit from doing service in their community. Even the smallest contributions can make the biggest difference. I have found that even just small gestures like smiling, checking up on others or holding the door for a stranger can completely turn someone else’s day around for the better. 

Morgan Murphy

Scranton '20

"A queen is never late; everyone else is simply early" ~Princess Diaries 2 ♥Makeup, music, and mermaid enthusiast
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.