This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

I’m not going to lie to you all. I’m the type of person who sort of dwells on things. Ok. You caught me. I am 100% the person who dwells on things. It’s not an all-day type of dwell. More like a, I can distract myself for a few hours, dwell, workout, dwell again and so on. Does that make sense?

And since I’m being honest. I might as well add to this list. In addition to dwelling, I also overthink and overanalyze. 

Yet, I have to say. These toxic traits seem to live mostly in the darkness. In the glooming hours of dusk, these traits lurk and creep in the backdrop of my brain. As I lay in bed at night, the monsters under my bed swarm like bees into my mind hive. 

Maybe it’s because I’m a Capricorn. Maybe it’s because I have a hard time letting go of the past. Maybe it’s a combination of both. 

Or maybe it is due to the mere fact that I do not fully trust myself. 

So, if you are anything like me, if you seem to exhibit similar traits, do not worry. Do not stress. We’re in this together! Together we will learn to trust ourselves more. Together we will slowly stop dwelling, overthinking and overanalyzing. 

To trust yourself isn’t as hard as it seems. It’s an internal mix of confidence, courage and self-recognition. It begins with simple steps such as understanding that you are wiser than you think. Simple steps such as owning your decisions, combating doubt and realizing that you are not as hopeless as you feel sometimes. 

Start to take chances and run toward opportunities. Have faith in your capabilities. Respect yourself. Stop treating yourself like a punching bag. Live by a self-trusting philosophy. Rid yourself of hesitation, the past and unworthiness. You are so much more. You are as mysterious as the Mona Lisa. You are as curious as Plato and Socrates. You are as artistic as Michelangelo. You are as courageous as Lucy Stone.

Forgive yourself. Understand that mistakes are simply human nature. Mistakes run in our blood. They are inevitable. Understand that mistakes do not define you. Mistakes are what make you stronger. I’ve made my fair share of mistakes. No, I don’t want to talk about them. But, they get in my head. I get angry. I get so angry. Why did I do that? Why did I put myself through that? Why? Just, why?

They are learning lessons that undoubtedly contribute to growth and manifestation. In fact, be proud of these mistakes. Wake up and laugh at them. Stop stewing. Stop dwelling. Stop analyzing and reimaging a situation in your head. You made a choice for a reason. Now trust that reason. Trust that mistake. 

Hold your head high and walk down the yellow brick road. Walk with confidence to the castle and declare power. 

Plant flowers and watch them grow. 

Read a book and endeavor a journey of knowledge and powerful, profound wisdom. 

Make a mistake and own it. 

Make a decision and be proud. 

Your life is not a role. The world is not your stage. 

You are the director. You are the creator. You are the designer. You are the author. You are the captain. You are the teacher. You are your source and roots of happiness. 

Temporarily pause to reflect your accomplishments. Temporarily bask in your glory. 

Then, continue to move forward. The carousel never stops spinning. 

Mackenzie Mickavicz is a senior at The University of Scranton who majors in strategic communications with a public relations track and concentrations in women's and gender studies. This is her second year as CC of Her Campus Scranton. She loves coffee, candy and cupcakes.
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.