Girls Shouldn’t Be hit, Not Even With A Bouquet of Flowers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

In early 2015, the European newspaper Fanpage.it filmed a video Dalle uno Schiaffo (From a Slap), involving young males and the issue of domestic violence.  The video accumulated millions of views, bringing forth the issue of domestic violence.  According to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence (NCADV) website, “Domestic violence is the willful intimidation, physical assault, battery, sexual assault, and/or other abusive behavior as part of a systematic pattern of power and control perpetrated by one intimate partner against another. It includes physical violence, sexual violence, psychological violence, and emotional abuse.”

The video portrays young males from the ages of seven to eleven years old being asked certain questions and being told to do certain things.  One boy wanted to be a soccer player, while another wanted to be a pizza maker. The answers to the questions being asked were innocent and sincere, not needing much thought behind them.  Then, a young girl named Martina was introduced to them, during which they all became giddy and nervous.  The boys were asked what they liked about her, were told them to caress her, and to make a funny face at her.  What was asked of them next left the young men in shock.

See the video here. 

“Slap her… Slap her hard.”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“Why? ‘Cause she’s a girl, I can’t do it.  Why? ‘Cause I’m a man!”

Her Campus targets an audience of college women, the statistic stating, “Women between the ages of 18-24 are most commonly abused by an intimate partner” (NCADV.org) was prevalent and appalling.  This video demonstrates that from an adolescent age, we are taught that physical violence, and domestic violence, is wrong and should not occur.  The simplicity in the reactions of these boys help bring to light that domestic violence is innately wrong and should not transpire, nor should it be tolerated.

Although this video focuses on the issue of domestic violence against women, I would like to stop and point out that men are also victims.  Statistically, “1 in 5 women and 1 in 7 men have been victims of severe physical violence by an intimate partner in their lifetime.” (NCADV.org) For more stats and additional resources, visit NCADV.org.  If you or someone you know is being abused by their partner, please call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 (SAFE).

“As the saying goes: “Girls shouldn’t be hit, not even with a bouquet of flowers.”

Julia Troost is a born and raised New Yorker, which comes as no shock once you hear her accent. She is a current senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Occupational Therapy with a minor in Psychology. Having a love for writing and fashion from a young age, HerScranton allows Julia to take a break from the sciences and embody her inner Carrie Bradshaw (circa late 2004). You’ll never see her without a smile on her face or yelling at people to “be optimistic!” Julia looks forward to completing her clinicals at prestigious NYC hospitals, and ultimately working with war veterans.
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_