This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Garnier is a skincare and hair care subsidiary of L’Oreal Paris. Other well-known subsidiaries of L’Oreal Paris include Kiehls, NYX Cosmetics, Maybelline and Urban Decay. In the recent years, companies have made tremendous efforts to be more transparent with the ingredients in their products. Garnier is no exception to this. They released a skincare and hair care line consisting of “paraben-free products and naturally derived ingredients” that will help customers discover their green beauty routines. These products range from hair masks to a soothing facial mist and micellar water. 

The first of these green products include one-minute hair masks. These hair masks come in a variety of formulas depending on what your hair type is. There are masks that strengthen, smooth, repair damage and nourish. All of these hair masks are vegan, 94% biodegradable and safe for color treated hair, while containing no silicones, parabens or artificial colorants. Additionally, the packaging details information on how each mask is 98% naturally derived. A naturally derived ingredient is one that is either unchanged or contains 50% of its molecular structure. They can be used as a mask, a conditioner or a leave-in. Garnier Fructis’ one-minute hair masks retail for under $3, and they can be found at any local drugstore, Walmart, Target, etc. These natural-ingredient hair masks are a great alternative to higher end all-natural hair masks from places such as Lush, where they run anywhere from $10- $25. 

The next product is the Garnier SkinActive Soothing Facial Mist. This facial mist has 99% naturally-derived ingredients and is made with rose water. Additionally, this product is also vegan and made without parabens, dyes, silicones or sulfates. This skin mist is a great refresher during the hot summer months or throughout the chilly winter months. It can be used to hydrate, prime your makeup, set your makeup or to refresh. This can be found at most drugstores for around $9. Comparably, Lush and Mario Badescu have similar versions of a rosewater facial mist that run for around $10- $12. 

Finally, there is the Micellar Cleansing Water. This product is great for removing makeup, cleansing your face and refreshing your skin! Micellar water is great for anyone looking for a quick and easy skincare product, because you do not need any water to rinse it off. Garnier’s micellar water runs for around $9 and contains no alcohol fragrance. Similar products to this can run upwards of $20- $40 at places like Sephora. 

These products from Garnier are perfect for back to school time, because they are conveniently available in most drugstores, affordable for all ages and contain naturally-derived ingredients. 

Laura Riemer is a strategic communication major with a concetration in public relations. She also has three minors in finance, accounting and business. She hopes to continue her education by getting her masters in something in the realm of finance. Laura enjoys writing, listening to music, hanging out with her friends and traveling. She went to England, Scotland and Greece during high school and hopes to have a career that that allows her to continue her travels. 
Gabriella Basile was CC and President of Her Campus Scranton during the 2018-2019 academic school year.