Frank Pallien, Changing the World One Solar Panel at a Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Frank is a brainiac with the skill set to match. He is involved on campus and has a passion for engineering. Read more to learn about Frank and his achievements in his field! 

Name: Frank PallienYear: 2016Major: Electrical EngineeringHometown: Scranton, PA 

Why did you choose Scranton?Honestly, I came to Scranton because I was entertained by a physics professor during an open house. Dr. Mulhall was doing all sorts of crazy experiments like making a holographic elephant and it really turned me on to the idea of Scranton.

What activities are you involved in on campus?I’m the Vice President of IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) and I’m also involved in the Physics Club.

What has been your greatest accomplishment in electrical engineering thus far?Probably when I was a student investigator for the Reflective Solar Tracker Collaboration.

Thats sounds really awesome! Can you tell us more about it?The RST is a device that takes a standard solar panel and increases its efficiency by 140 percent. It’s great because it’s a more efficient way to collect sustainable energy.

Why did you decide to go into engineering?I always had an interest in it. My dad was an engineer and he was always teaching me different things about the field. When I was younger, I even took apart our phone just to see how it worked and if I could put it back together. It was awful because all of the buttons were in the wrong place so it really taught me the importance of paying attention to where parts are supposed to go.

What are your plans after graduation?I’m not sure yet, but they’ll definitely involve finding a good job somewhere warm.

Besides changing the world one solar panel at a time, what do you like to do for fun?I like to hangout with my friends, watch my favorite shows and playing my guitar.

Emily is a Scranton native trying to make a name for herself. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a concentration in Public Relations and a minor in Finance. When she's not goofing off with her friends or spending time with her family, there is a very big chance that she's binge watching Criminal Minds on Netflix. Emily has a love-hate relationship with Moe's Southwest Grill and would probably eat chips and queso for every meal if it didn't mean that she'd have to work out afterwards. She loves being a part of Her Campus Scranton and can't wait to see what her future holds!
Elise is a Jersey girl who loves to travel the world, she enjoys keeping up with the latest fashion trends and believes an Instagram a day keeps the doctor away. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Writing. Elise is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend Samantha (every brunette needs a blonde right?) This past summer she interned in Public Relations at The Thomas Collective, a boutique lifestyle agency in New York City. When her toes are not in the sand, she’s hailing a cab or packing her bags ready to jet set anywhere and everywhere. Fun Fact: Elise is a member of Scranton’s Equestrian team. Follow her on Instagram @liseyleelee and on Twitter @eliseteresa!