etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Things to Remember the Last 3 Months of 2019

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Summer is the season of fun, for most it is a care-free world that holds a certain kind of possibility. The warm rays attach to our fair skin, and a gentle blue sky lingers above, reminding us that anything can happen. As fall approaches, the atmosphere cloaks sunshine with clever coolness and a tranquil sensation rests within- a mere reminder that the end of the year, is simply a new beginning. A cozy, claiming time to sit fireside and write new chapters. 

Take this time to prepare. Take this time to understand the good and bad fortune of 2019. Take this time to savor the last of the sunshine as the small snowflakes create a delicate world of white. Take this time to reflect. Take this time to begin. 

In the last 3 months of 2019, remember: 

Love is like lightning. It strikes more than once. 

The love of first love is what gives us the strength and courage to love yet again. The pain of first love is what gives us the stamina to run wild once more. Your heart is remarkable. It is simply a mosaic piece of art; an indestructible assemblage of stone, pain and love. Savor first love. And savor the love that follows first love. Love is like lightning. It strikes more than once- causing an instantaneous release of nearly one billion joules of energy.

Time tells toxicity. 

As clouds run away and beams of sunshine begin to crawl into hibernation, mother nature declares a dark spell in the forest. Life slowly withers, and leaves fade; hidden pigments hunt the wilderness searching for prey. Seasons change. And colors grow faint. Time surely reveals true colors. 

Just as nature, people change. People deceive you. Friends change. And friends certainly deceive you. Never let weeds grow in your garden. Never let dull, Autumn pigments invade your garden. 

Change begins the moment you choose to honor who you are now. 

The idea of change is overwhelming; the brain organizes this intangible, and inevitable element of life as a fearful happening. This is me telling you to be fearless. This is me telling you to allow change to break down brick wall barriers you may pose. Honor who you are now. Embrace your beauty and your madness- let it inspire you to grow and write new chapters.

Never feel guilty for putting yourself first.

Let me tell you: You are brave, you are strong, and you are caring. In fact, you care too much. You love too deep. These characteristics are both a blessing and a curse. For your heart is composed of gold, but the blinding reflection often misleads you and certainly consumes you.

It is a great mystery why you feel guilty for doing the right thing. One of the seven wonders of the world is why you feel guilty for doing what is best for you.

Once you reach a certain point of self-loss, it is a painstakingly long and treacherous journey to rediscover who you are. It is a vicious world of confusion and self-discipline. You deserve happiness. You deserve your own happiness.

Moments make you. They do not define you.  

Every romance novel entails a tragic heartbreak. Every comedy includes a cruel climax before a light-hearted, humorous ending. And of course, every fairytale teases a catastrophic plot twist before the “happily ever after.”

Life is composed of movie moments and harsh realities, composed of love and pain, dreams and disasters. Yet, moments do not define who you are. Moments of pain do not make you weak. And moments joy, do not deem you indestructible. Moments make you. They do not define you. 

You are in control.  

At times, you’ll be faced with decisions that make your stomach roar and your brain spin. But you are in control. At times, people will undermine your choices and question your value. But you are in control. Do not let what others think or say determine your future. Do not let power fall into the wrong hands. 

You cannot run away from problems.

It was a temporary breath of fresh air. Running that is. You pause for a second. And you realize that not all of your problems require a definite solution. You enjoyed this moment of peace. Your problems seem to diminish the farther you ran. You run farther. And farther. Until you are lost. As your problems fade away, so does your soul. You began to lose pieces of yourself.

Running away is not a solution. It will never be a solution. Sooner or later you need to face the consequences of your actions. You need to confront your problems. It’s scary. But, you have nothing to be afraid of. 

You are exactly where you need to be. 

Acceptance. Say it out loud. Acceptance. Every day you grow, you grow into the person you most want to become. And every day you dream, you dream dreams, and you dream big. Learn to accept every chapter of your novel. Learn to accept your past, and the hardships who have made you who you are. 

You didn’t click your red slippers three times to end up where you are. You worked for it. You worked hard for it. You are exactly where you need to be. 

Mackenzie Mickavicz is a senior at The University of Scranton who majors in strategic communications with a public relations track and concentrations in women's and gender studies. This is her second year as CC of Her Campus Scranton. She loves coffee, candy and cupcakes.
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.