Female Entrepreneurs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

What is an entrepreneur? According to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary an entrepreneur is, “One who organizes, manages, and assumes the risks of a business or enterprise.” While that definition is 100% true, there is so much more to being and becoming a successful entrepreneur. Entrepreneurs are creative, driven, and aspire to impress the world with their ideas. Opening a business is an extremely difficult challenge. To be successful one must dedicate their heart and mind to their dream. Today, in our business world there are so many hard-working, inspirational, and dedicated entrepreneurs to look up to as role models. In fact, there are many FEMALE entrepreneurs that are taking the world by storm. A few of these female entrepreneurs include: Sara Blakely, Tory Burch and Debbi Fields. Their stories are all inspiring because each woman had to overcome numerous obstacles that were very challenging to get to where they are today. These women had the courage to pursue their dreams and the determination to accomplish those dreams.

Below are short summary paragraphs on the successful entrepreneurs listed above:

Sara Blakely is the founder of Spanx and also the youngest self-made billionaire in America. According to the official Spanx website, “the idea to create this company all began when Sara Blakely cut the feet out of her pantyhose to make her butt look better in white pants. It was at that moment when Sara was transformed from a frustrated consumer to a fearless entrepreneur.” Since 2000, the year Spanx was founded, Sara Blakely has been recognized and honored for her accomplishments. Today, Spanx continues to be an extremely profitable company.

Tory Burch is a well-known and adored fashion designer. She began her own fashion label “TRB by Tory Burch”, later known as Tory Burch in February 2004. Her line was an instant success. Her inventory was selling out quicker than she ever could have imagined. Her brand became world famous when Oprah Winfrey endorsed her apparel and accessories. Since 2004, Tory Burch has received numerous awards and her products can be found in many department and specialty stores worldwide.

Debbi Fields is the founder, baker and former Chairman of Mrs. Fields Cookies, a $450 million company. According to the official Debbi Fields website, Debbi opened her first store Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chippery in Palo Alto, California in 1977. On her first day, she was determined to sell fifty dollars’ worth of cookies. By noon, she hadn’t made a single dollar. So Debbi went to the streets offering cookies for free. She enticed her samplers back to her store and the rest is history. Her one tiny store in California soon turned into over 700 stores in ten countries. Debbi accomplished the American dream and can celebrate that she has launched one the nations most successful and well-known dessert empires.

These three women all had the same entrepreneurial mindset to impress the world with their creations. Sara Blakely, Tory Burch and Debbi Fields all started with humble beginnings and grew from their experiences to achieve the status of successful female entrepreneurs. Their stories are empowering and remind us that anything is possible if we put in the time, effort, and dedication to accomplish our goals.

Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so