“Drop It Low… Like They Did It In the 90s”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

As the semester is more than halfway through and some of us begin to anticipate graduation, it seems about the time where reminiscing is in order. Whether it’s taking pictures at a friend’s house for Senior Prom or Preview Day at The University of Scranton, memories rush through your head… mostly good, but some, not so great. Although these memories serve as important milestones that have shaped who we are, we mustn’t forget the things that served us before iPhones and Social Media. We, the Millennials, are the last generation to have a childhood without iPads and Instagram and I consider us to be incredibly lucky. Here’s why being a 90s kid is the best kind of kid.

1. ScrunchiesThose obnoxious hair ties you collected in every color that held your ponytail on top of your head.

2. Bell bottomsFlare jeans or flare overalls were the way to go. Light or dark wash… both were stylish.

3. Walk-manThe music players with the mid-sized headphones.

4. Bill NyeThe guy’s name you would chant in your science classes while watching his films… “BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY… BILL, BILL, BILL, BILL!”

5. Lip SmackersThe ultimate scented and flavorful Chap Stick.

6. GameboyYour distraction for every car ride and every long line you waited on at Disney World.

7. TamagotchiThe annoying device that would never shut up; usually lived under a bunch of sweatshirts in your closet. And your mom usually forgot to feed the Tamagotchi character when you were at school so it died.

8. AOLDial-up… Took you fifteen minutes to sign-in so you could Instant Message your friends… “You’ve Got Mail!”

9. BarbiesBarbie and Ken. Theresa was always the third wheel.

10. MASHThe game that told you your future.

11. JelliesColorful sandals that were glittery and waterproof!

12. Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys were way better than Christina Agularia and N’SyncThat is all.

13. Spice Girls.The ultimate best.

14. Choker necklacesBlack or rainbow… depends on the outfit.

15. Light-up sneakersThe white Velcro sneakers with colorful lights twinkling with every step.

16. Rugrats, Hey Arnold and Doug.The only shows that were important on Nickelodeon.

17. Skip-It and Super SoakersSummer fun activities with the neighbors.

18. Easy-Bake OvenThe present every parent regretted giving his or her daughter for Christmas. The food definitely wasn’t edible.

19. LunchablesThe cool kids’ lunch.

20. Lisa FrankThe colorful images on school supplies. You HAD to have a Lisa Frank folder, although you didn’t know who Lisa Frank was. The unicorn folder just looked awesome and bright!

Megan was born in NYC and is the youngest of four. She moved to a small town, Glen Rock, NJ shortly after her arrival. She graduated from The University of Scranton in May of 2015 with a BA in strategic communication. At the University, Megan was a member of the women's soccer team and a writer and feature story editor for HC Scranton. Megan is very active and takes on all sorts of fitness classes. Megan enjoys being surrounded by friends and family and going to her lake house on Brant Lake in the Adirondacks during the summer (ignore Blair Waldorf... the Adirondacks is a BEAUTIFUL place to vacation!)
Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_