This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Being from an Italian family, my lack of interest in cooking and my very very VERY poor cooking skills are shocking. I’ve tried countless of times to cook, but it always ends up burnt or raw. I’ve even messed up boxed brownies. I’ve screwed up so many times in the kitchen that everyone who knows me knows better than to ask me to make something. If you’re anything like me, I’ve found some pretty easy and quick meals that take little skill but taste great. 

1. Avocado toast 

So trendy and so easy. Scramble up some eggs, or if you’re feeling crazy make it sunny side up, toast your favorite bread (don’t burn it), and crush up some avocado. Season the crushed avocado with your favorite spices. Spread the avocado on your bread and put the egg on top. Done.

2. Green smoothie  

If you are turned off by the look or the idea of drinking vegetables, don’t be. I worked at a smoothie place and this was our recipe. Get your blender and put in freshly washed kale leaves. As much as you desire. Then put in frozen pineapple chunks to the top of your blender. Put in coconut milk till you’ve covered the pineapple. Put on the cap and blend. You won’t even taste the kale and you can feel healthy while drinking it. 

3. Make your own Chipotle bowl 

Everyone loves Chipotle. And making a bowl is simple. If you like rice, use Uncle Bens ready rice pouches and microwave it for 90 seconds. Open the pouch and put it in your bowl. Personally, I like chicken in mine so I either use leftover chicken that my mom made the night before or I use precooked chicken slices. I then put in guacamole, sour cream, tomatoes, and lettuce. Feel free to put in all the things you usually order or have in your fridge. Super easy and really tasty.

4. Roasted Chickpeas 

This is a really easy and delicious snack that will fill you up. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Take out a can of chickpeas and blot them completely dry. In a bowl, toss them with oil and salt and any of your favorite seasonings. I usually use garlic powder on mine. Spread them out on a non-stick baking sheet and put them in the oven for 30-40 minutes. They are the best when they are crunchy. Once they are done, take them out and enjoy! You can add more seasoning if they are too plain. 

Cooking is a skill that gets better with practice. Don’t lose all hope if you are helpless in the kitchen like me. Start with basic things and work your way up. If you keep trying and can’t get it, I’ll see you on the Americas Worst Cooks set.

Madeline DeBaro

Scranton '22

Junior Counseling and Human Services Major at The University of Scranton
Gabriella Basile was CC and President of Her Campus Scranton during the 2018-2019 academic school year.