Don’t Bully My Breed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Three years ago, after a lot of begging, my family adopted Jack Sparrow from our local shelter. He was our first American Pitbull Terrier. Jack had a rough beginning, he was abandoned in a junkyard with a blinded eye and paw injuries. Now, he has a home with plenty of beds, snacks and a huge backyard for him to sprint in. It’s hard to imagine him so neglected because he has always been happy and loving.

The first few walks around the neighborhood I took with Jack has impacted my life forever. I have never been so out-right avoided by others before. All Jack was doing was walking and people were afraid. The most popular reaction we got was hiding behind cars. People hide behind cars parked across the street, and some even picked up their small dog and crouched down together. The most extreme reaction was a woman who sprinted across a lawn to get back inside of her house. I would even try to dress him in bright colors and seasonal bandanas to make him look friendlier. But still, when Jack is walking down the street, people only see his huge head and broad chest. They think his blind eye makes him more frightening. They assume he’s aggressive. What they can’t see is that Jack is a victim.

A victim from the mistreatment of humans, like so many other dogs of his type. Pitbulls are often forced to fight or used as bait dogs. They are banned to live from certain areas. Their image is contorted from sensationalism in the media. They are deemed as inherently dangerous and often are shot by police. They are used as scapegoats and they have changed in society’s eyes from the nanny dog to a monster.

However, the real monsters are the criminals who use them to fight. The backyard breeders, and the irresponsible owners who don’t train their pets. The politicians who support breed-specific legislation. Even the Guggenheim museum which thinks a video with visibly wounded pit bulls running at each other on wooden treadmills is “art.”

Thankfully, people and organizations like Tia Torres, New York Bully Crew, and local shelters continue to provide second chances for abused pit bulls and advocate for them. Their dedication and hard work have saved countless lives. They show the world the resilience of the breed.

I don’t blame my neighbors for being scared but, I would be saddened for them if they remain for the rest of their lives ill-informed. My own parents were once scared of Pitbulls but, through watching Tia Torres, and attending “Pitbull Day” at our local shelter, they soon realized the wide spread misconception. They saw firsthand how stereotypes affect even dogs. So, they decided to help one. Self-education and open mindedness does and has made a difference. If my parent’s perspectives never changed, our lives and Jack’s would of loss a lot of cuddles and beautiful memories.

I love my Pitbull and I will continue to defend his character. I want everyone to know he is the best family pet and best brother to his cat sister, Mia. Jack’s exterior is as beautiful as his interior. And his heart is bigger than his head.

Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so