This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Ipsy is one of the new, mainstream makeup and beauty subscription boxes that have been taking the world by storm, alongside other subscription boxes like Birchbox and the Sephora Play! Box. If you’re working with the budget of a college student, the $10.00 per box (shipping included) per month doesn’t seem too steep. However, I’m always skeptical of things like subscription boxes because I’m constantly worried I’ll get something I won’t like or won’t use. Ipsy makes the whole process of customizing your box very easy, and it offers an extensive questionnaire that ranges from your hair color to your favorite makeup brands.

The brands associated with Ipsy range from high end brands like Tarte and Benefit to drug store brands like Maybelline and Covergirl. The box includes five beauty products, either in a “deluxe sample size” (which is basically a travel sized version of the product) or a full sized product. Sounds like a good deal, right? I still wasn’t totally sold. My wonderful friend Sarah, who has the patience of a saint for dealing with my constant questions, somehow convinced me to sign up for the subscription box. I signed up too late to get the April Ipsy Glam Bag, but thankfully, Sarah let me take a look at hers (and take lots of pictures to show you, so shoutout to Sarah for being the best!) so that I could really see if I was getting what I paid for, and if Ipsy was really worth all the hype.

First of all, the products arrive in the cutest bags that change every month. This month’s bag was a red and pink bag shaped like a ticket stub.

The first product was a full sized metallic pigment in the shade “Heavy Metal” from Naked Cosmetics, which normally costs $14.99.

The second product in the bag was a travel-sized version of Hey Honey’s Bésame Mucho Shea Butter and Propolis Lip Balm. The full sized version is $14.00 on their website, so the travel sized version costs about $7.00. 

The third product was another travel-sized product, a soothing aloe gel from Hanalei. Again, the full sized product (100g) retails at $30.00, so the travel sized product (10g) costs around $3.00.

The fourth product was a full sized metallic crème gel eyeliner in the shade “Show Me” from Colourpop Cosmetics, and it costs $5.00.

Finally, my personal favorite product was the fifth one in the bag, which was a precision foundation brush from Luxie Beauty. On the company’s website, the brush costs $23.00. 

If you weren’t keeping track, all the products in the bag add up to $52.99 worth of products, and it only cost me $10.00! I’ll let you come to your own conclusions on whether you think Ipsy is worth it, but I think it’s safe to say I’m sold on the Glam Bag, and I’m more than excited to receive mine in the mail in May. 

Katie is an avid coffee drinker, Youtube addict, and online shopping enthusiast who is a sophomore at Scranton majoring in Neuroscience and Philosophy. If you see her studying, she's probably listening to the Harry Potter Score on repeat.
Elizabeth Transue is a Communication Broadcasting major with a minor in Political Science at The University of Scranton. Her life changed when she studied abroad in London and fell in love with traveling. She is obsessed with her adorable pug, Chikfila, and her eleven best friends who just so happen to be her housemates. She can't hold a tune or keep a rhythm but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it! Am I right?