This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

I think it’s safe to say that at one time or another we have all been asked what our zodiac sign is. You might not be a believer in the pseudoscience of astrology, but regardless, it is no lie that reading into characteristics about ourselves based on our birthdates can be fun.

I was first introduced to astrology by one of my friends in my early years of high school. At first, I was extremely skeptical of the entire concept. To be completely honest, I can’t say I agree or disagree with astrology as a science, but I do enjoy the associations that come from my zodiac sign. I also think it can be exciting to compare the relationship between different zodiacs to see if perhaps there is a correlation between the people you do or don’t get along with. For example, some signs have qualities that might contrast characteristics of another sign. Whereas another combination of zodiac signs might complement one another and make the duo stronger. 

There are countless zodiac websites online where you can read up on what exactly your zodiac implies; how you behave in situations, who you do or don’t get along with, where your talents lie, etc. There are even apps such as Co-Star and TimePassages which both use your birth information (location, date, time) to draw conclusions about what type of person you are. 

Personally, science or no science behind it, I still like to see if the characteristics of my zodiac align with my personality. It’s interesting to see if my friends (some of which are more into astrology than most) feel as though my sign is an accurate representation of me.

Regardless of whether or not there is data to support that astrology is ‘real,’ I think there can be clear connections between someone and the characteristics of their sign. The concept that our personalities may come from the alignment of the stars is a really cool theory and I can understand why people believe in it. 

Julia Kourpas

Scranton '24

I am a Sophomore at The University of Scranton studying for a BA in Business Administration.