Do Something With Your Clothing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Spring-cleaning and an opportunity to perform a good deed, say hello to our dream come true! 

Warm weather is slowly approaching and it’s time to go through your closet and drawers and see what is essential and what is “I’m never going to fit into/wear this again.”

Instead of hoarding it, donate it. This will make room for more clothes, yay to shopping and significantly help someone in-need. Throughout April a Her Campus Scranton member is making this process super easy for everyone at Scranton. Jianna Scarpa ’15 has joined a global movement and worked diligently to create a clothing drive for our school on behalf of DoSomething.org and H&M. “I have always dreamed of starting a nonprofit organization of my own so participating in the comeback clothes campaign seemed like a step in the right direction, ” said Scarpa. 

“DoSomething.org makes the world suck less. One of the largest global orgs for young people and social change, our 3.6 million members tackle campaigns that impact every cause, from poverty to violence to the environment to literally everything else. Any cause, anytime, anywhere. *mic drop”

The Problem11.1 million tons of recyclable clothing, shoes, and other textiles end up in landfills every year. That’s the equivalent of 70 billion T-shirts!

The SolutionInstead of trashing old clothes, give them a second life by recycling them. You’ll save water, energy, and landfill space.

This Spring make a difference. There will be boxes set up around campus throughout the month (DeNaples Center, Dorms, Etc.) and all clothing is accepted worn or torn. Tell your roommates, friends, professors, tell everyone! Join the event on Facebook.

Visit DoSomething.Org for more information!

Contact Jianna at jianna.scarpa@scranton.edu for any further questions or to schedule a pickup date/time! 

Samantha is an East Coast girl from Pennsylvania with a New York City attitude and a Florida mindset. Her shopping habits are contagious; she has inherited them from her mom (they say mother knows best, right?). Samantha is a University of Scranton senior majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Business. She is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend, Elise. She is also the captain for Scranton Love Your Melon and secretary of the University of Scranton's Business Club. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @samanthaamilazzo @samanthaliza_