This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

All my fellow girls with curls know the struggle of having curly hair. Our biggest love-hate relationship is the one we have with our locks. We’ll forever be burdened with the question, “Do you brush your hair?” and “How long does it take you to straighten it?” So, for all those wondering what life is like for us curly girls, take a minute to appreciate. And for those who can relate, can I get an Amen?                                             

1. You were the only one with curly hair in your friend group so you went through a premature mid-life crisis and straightened your hair every day just to be like the rest of your possy. 

2. You call every day a ‘bad hair day.’ Your hair is often compared to things like mops and poodles. You don’t see the resemblance…

3. You pin all those cool hairstyles on Pinterest even though you’re well aware you will never be able to do that triple fishtail-braided looking ballerina bun. But hey, a girl can dream, right? In the mean time, you stick to one or two basic hairstyles.

4. You dread the summer because you are no match for humidity. You anticipate that moment when your defined curls transform into a frizzy afro. The 80s called, they want their hair back…5. Once something goes in your hair, it’s never coming out. At the end of the day some common treasures found in that nest of yours are leaves, food, paper and secrets, of course.6. You have an irrational fear of people touching your hair. There are always those aggressive people who try to play with your hair and end up ripping it out. Most of the time you flinch before they even get the chance to touch it.

7. You spend hours trying to get your hair to sit just right. You finally leave the house but the second you step outside you get hit with a gust of wind. You have no choice but to try to rock that #blowout. 8. You defined bed head. Mornings are a curly girl’s most unsightly hair moments. If you’re walk-of-shaming it, you better get home before anyone sees that naughty knotty hair of yours.

9. You’ve come to terms with the fact that no product on this earth will ever tame your mane. You’ve tried it all: from the cheap tricks on YouTube to the expensive salon brands, there is no cure for curly hair syndrome. Curls will be curls. 

Even though we have the curse of curls, it’s what makes us different. It’s our identifier. Who can forget the girl in the room with the huge hair?!The bigger the hair, the closer to heaven. So work those curls just like Yoncé!

Brittany Lemardy is a senior at The University of Scranton majoring in strategic communication with a focus on public relations. She’s a small town girl from Pennsylvania with hopes of living in New York City someday. She loves all things fashion and laughter! Check her out on Instagram!  @brittanylemardy  
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so