This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Hi. My name is Mackenzie. I am a sophomore at the University of Scranton. I first began my college journey as a commuter, roughly one year ago. Subconsciously, I knew that life as a commuter would be different from day one. But, I had high hopes that my housing status would not impact my college experience.

A few weeks into my first semester, I noticed that I had a difficult time meeting people. Despite my housing status, I thought making friends would be one of the easier aspects of college. However, it did not take me long to notice the invisible barrier between commuters and campus residents. I felt excluded and even like an outcast at times. My drive to school destroyed my desire to attend 9 P.M. meetings and late night campus events, which led to a less than booming social life. Everyday I would reassure myself that the initial transition struggle from high school

student to college student would gradually get easier. I told myself to stop overthinking; to think less and live more.

Nearing the end of my first semester, I had a reputation for tardiness. Professors do not care if there no parking in the commuter lot- ​late is late.​ It was time to be an adult, and stories about Scranton traffic or parking catastrophes, were merely excuses. I was overwhelmed. I was more than overwhelmed. The stress of a weekly routine that not only accommodated my class schedules, but traffic patterns and unexpected circumstances such as closed roads and weather conditions, caused my grades to plummet.

I lacked motivation and lost interest in school. I felt like everyone was moving forward, and I was stuck in the same place, stuck in the same childhood bedroom. I envied students who embraced early adulthood and mild doses of independence.

I considered taking a semester off or transferring schools. I pondered signing an apartment lease with friends who attend neighboring schools. And I contemplated switching my housing status.

After negotiating with my parents for months, they agreed to me living on campus. I was grateful for the opportunity and could not wait to see what the future had in store.

Fast forward:​ It is now my third week living in a sophomore dormitory and I couldn’t be happier. For the first time in my life, I feel like I am exactly where I need to be.

Everyday, I met new people and jump at new opportunities. I’ve found friends. I’ve found my home. And most importantly, I’ve found happiness.

XOXO,

A new campus resident

P.S. Thanks mom and dad

Mackenzie Mickavicz is a senior at The University of Scranton who majors in strategic communications with a public relations track and concentrations in women's and gender studies. This is her second year as CC of Her Campus Scranton. She loves coffee, candy and cupcakes.
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.