etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Colton Underwood is the Bachelor, and This is Why He Shouldn’t Be

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

OKAY so:Like many long-time Bachelor fans, I was shook when I heard Colton Underwood would be the next Bachelor. I mean what were the producers even thinking. After all he put Tia through, I’m shocked the producers even considered him.

This is bad- maybe worse than Arie- and there are so many reasons this guy should not be the Bachelor but here are the first few that came to mind

1. There were definitely better options.

There were SO many better candidates. My personal favorite, Peter Kraus, was everyone’s top choice for last season. Instead they chose Arie: a 37-year-old who had the personality of a stale piece of Wonder Bread and put the “I” in sociopath. Even if they could not get Peter to sign the contract there were still better choices: “Grocery-store” Joe, Wells, Jason – EVEN DEAN. Anything is better than this.

2. He’s too emotionally immature.And I’m not talking about the virgin thing- which is an issue in itself, but we won’t get into that. Colton is notorious for being indecisive and immature in his relationships.  These aren’t the best characteristics for a Bachelor as seen on Arie’s season. Remember, when he broke down on Paradise when he saw Becca; remember when could not ever try to commit to Tia. He clearly was not ready for a relationship with Tia, and left Bachelor in Paradise because of it. To be honest, I’m not sure if he is mature enough to have a mature relationship. He definitely will not be ready to propose after 2 months.

3. The Tia “Thing”

Colton and Tia were a literal mess that completely took over Becca’s season and Bachelor in Paradise. Background for those who don’t know: Colton dated Tia, and then went on her good friend Becca’s season of the Bachelorette. After Tia exposed him, he was sent home. They reunited on Bachelor In Paradise where he strung her along on an emotional roller coaster for weeks in order to secure his spot as the next bachelor. Bachelor In Paradise was consumed with Tia & Colton – and to be honest everyone is over it.

So for the second season in a row we have an indecisive, emotionally immature Bachelor. Even though Colton is the epitome of a f*ckboy, like all Bachelor fans I will probably still be tuning in this season.

Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.
Julia Wardeh

Scranton '19

Julia Wardeh is a senior studying pre-medicine at the University of Scranton. This will be her second year as president and CC of Her Campus Scranton, which she hopes to elevate and expand. In her free time, Julia enjoys working as a barista, reading novels, and looking at the latest memes.