This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

This summer I read four romance novels. Through reading them, I have found out this is my favorite genre when it comes to reading for fun. I wanted to share my thoughts on each and an overall ranking. These are all based on my opinions and thoughts when reading these novels!

1. Beach Read by Emily Henry

I really enjoyed this novel, and it was a very easy read. It took me about two weeks to finish. It has an “enemies to lovers” plot that had me on the edge of my seat for most of the novel. I think what kept me intrigued and wanting to keep reading, was the romantic tension between the two main characters, January and Gus. I enjoyed that they were both writers trying something new. I would give this book a rating of 7/10.

2. Happy Place by Emily Henry

The whole novel I was rooting for Harriet and Wynn despite the issues they faced. It stressed me out that they kept their breakup a secret from their friends. I understand why they did, but that is not a secret I could keep. Also, they had to act the part. Knowing this, I think that’s why I enjoyed the novel so much. I also really enjoyed how the group of friends all were going through their own issues. I would give this book a rating of 8/10.

3. Nomber 9th by Collen Hoover

I thought the concept was different in that they only met on that certain date, November 9th. Without giving it away, the plot twist sort of threw me off guard. While it connected their stories, I sort of thought it was kind of reaching. Overall, I thought the book was just okay and in the end I wanted more. The point of the novel was they only meet once out of the year left me wanting more interaction or information. I would give this book a rating of 6.5/10.

4. Icebreaker by Hannah Grace

I have never read a book so fast. I finished Icebreaker in literally 5 days. This, again, is another book that has an “enemies to lovers” plot. I enjoyed how the hockey and figure skating aspects were brought in, which I thought was very different. There are also a lot of spicy scenes mixed in with friendship, skating, emotional and mental health problems that I thought kept the novel interesting. I would give this book a rating of 9/10.

Katie Lopes

Scranton '24

I'm from New Jersey. I love animals and I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. I have cheered for 15 years. I'm majoring in biology on a preveterinary track.