Beware of the Princes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

As I became nostalgic during my trip to Downtown Disney over spring break, I couldn’t help but reminisce on how badly I wanted to be a princess when I was a little girl. I always compared myself to Belle, although I clearly resemble Snow White much more. But hey, a girl can dream, can’t she? That’s when I started to think of the Disney Princes, whose true personalities sometimes get overlooked due to the glitz and glamour of their fabulous counterparts. Hence, I am here to expose these Princes and their accurate dispositions, with intentions to compare them to the men (or boys) we now encounter every day of our young adult lives.  

Prince Phillip from Sleeping BeautyWe all have those one or two guy friends who we’ve known since we were young.  You grew up together and have created countless memories throughout the years. You have definitely flirted and thought “what if?” but neither of you has made the move.  Well, Prince Phillip and Sleeping Beauty knew each other forever, and he turned out to be her one true love! So for all of you who have repeated over and over “We’re just friends…” there’s still some hope for you and your BFF.

Prince Adam from Beauty and The BeastBetter known as the Beast, Prince Adam is actually the only red headed prince to ever be created in a Disney movie. I’m sure we can all assume where I’m going with this one: don’t write off the gingers just yet! Personally, I don’t mind red hair at all; but if you really can’t get past the vibrant locks, try getting to know the guy more! After all, we were all taught that it’s what’s on the inside that really counts.

Kristoff from FrozenWe all know that one guy just like Kristoff: sweet, cute, helpful… but he just doesn’t seem like the boyfriend type. You and your friends constantly say how much you ‘love’ him, but would never actually date him. Knock it off ladies! Give the guy a chance! You may be pleasantly surprised, as was Anna when she ended up falling head over heels in love! Never take the nice guy for granted; you may look back one day and regret not finding your own Kristoff.

Aladdin… from AladdinUnlike other Disney classics, Aladdin is the main character (and title) of the movie starring a Disney Princess (Princess Jasmine). This is the only known princess movie where there is a prince as the main male protagonist. Aladdin is tall, dark, and handsome but he also seems to be quite full of himself. Watch out for these studs, as they can fool you with their good looks! In the end they might think that they’re prettier than you are.

Prince Charming from CinderellaThe name says it all: this guy is your ideal prince. Prince Charming went from not knowing what he wanted, to falling in love with Cinderella and faithfully spending the rest of his life with her. He’s a great dancer and seems like quite the mature individual. If you happen to find a guy resembling Prince Charming in any way, shape, or form, I suggest you hang on to him. You might just live happily ever after.

Julia Troost is a born and raised New Yorker, which comes as no shock once you hear her accent. She is a current senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Occupational Therapy with a minor in Psychology. Having a love for writing and fashion from a young age, HerScranton allows Julia to take a break from the sciences and embody her inner Carrie Bradshaw (circa late 2004). You’ll never see her without a smile on her face or yelling at people to “be optimistic!” Julia looks forward to completing her clinicals at prestigious NYC hospitals, and ultimately working with war veterans.
Elise is a Jersey girl who loves to travel the world, she enjoys keeping up with the latest fashion trends and believes an Instagram a day keeps the doctor away. She is a senior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a minor in Writing. Elise is the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Scranton, which she co-founded in September 2014 with her best friend Samantha (every brunette needs a blonde right?) This past summer she interned in Public Relations at The Thomas Collective, a boutique lifestyle agency in New York City. When her toes are not in the sand, she’s hailing a cab or packing her bags ready to jet set anywhere and everywhere. Fun Fact: Elise is a member of Scranton’s Equestrian team. Follow her on Instagram @liseyleelee and on Twitter @eliseteresa!