This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

What’s the first word you would use to describe college students? Wild, reckless, carefree? Overwhelmed, nervous, stressed? There seems to be a stark contrast of qualities that embody a typical college student. Every student can relate to feeling all of the emotions listed above, amongst others, all at once and on separate occasions. This is the essential time in our lives as young adults to establish our place in society and make our mark. What we achieve in these four short years can greatly set the tone for how the rest of our lives unfold. However, there is a certain pattern that I have noticed amongst my peers and within myself at times. 

I find that recently, I have been using my schoolwork as somewhat of a crutch and have justified not doing certain things because I have “too much to do.” Skipping out on social events, not going to the gym, and avoiding certain situations to just equate it to having schoolwork. And while it is true that work should be the primary focus in a student’s life, it is important to remind yourself that it is not everything. Sometimes it’s just easier to put your headphones and hide out in a cubicle in the library. Admittedly, I have done this when something else is weighing heavily on my mind and use my work as a sort of defense mechanism. In a way, it isan escape from reality. I find that when I have a conflict with a friend or family member, I isolate myself and try to distract myself from the actual issue at hand; I find that a lot of people fall into this same habit. 

However, every now and then I have these moments of clarity when I objectively look at the limited time that I have left in my college career. As class registration dates come closer and housing selections are made for senior year, I am reminded of the precious time that I have left. As a Human Resources major, I heavily study the ways in which management can effectively create a copasetic office environment for employees. I recently wrote a paper for my Compensation and Benefits course that described the importance of work-life balance among employees, more specifically regarding parents in the workforce. The Human Resources department is primarily responsible for creating flexible work-life balance arrangements. In conducting my research, I came across many eye-opening articles and I had a jarring revelation– I realized that even though we as students may not technically be employed by a big fancy company, we still have a job as students to excel in our studies. We don’t have a manager that tells us when to take time off, or a supervisor devising ways in which to split our time between work and play– we have to create a plan for ourselves each and every day and assess how we will effectively use our 24 hours. When people land a job in their dream profession, they more than likely have families and friends who helped them get to where they are. Without establishing effective relationships, we cannot sustain a happy and healthy lifestyle. 

That is why it is so vital that while we are preparing for our future careers as young students, we also prepare for something even more daunting–our life. And while it is important to find a career path that fulfills you emotionally, financially, and mentally, it is also necessary to note who we choose to keep in our lives in the long term. So, the next time you find yourself hiding behind a book in an attempt for a distraction, consider reaching out to a friend and getting coffee. Interpersonal relationships are an integral part of the human experience and should be greatly cherished. Take a break from studying books and study people instead–you won’t regret it! 

Morgan Murphy

Scranton '20

"A queen is never late; everyone else is simply early" ~Princess Diaries 2 ♥Makeup, music, and mermaid enthusiast
Gabriella Basile was CC and President of Her Campus Scranton during the 2018-2019 academic school year.