This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

I remember staying up until 3 am watching Adult Swim. While most kids were secretly watching Family Guy or Futurama, I on the other hand watched Naruto. Naruto is one of the most popular anime which tells the story of a young ninja, Naruto Uzumaki, who seeks recognition from his peers and dreams of becoming the Hokage, the leader of his village. Through rivalry, love interests, and challenging friendships, Naruto creates a captivating show that is easily bingeable. Naruto has more than 500 episodes per continued series, which can be intimidating for most people. However, once you become invested in the characters and storyline, you’ll be surprised how fast you can watch the show.  

When most people think of anime, Dragon Ball Z is what typically comes to mind. Personally, I think that Dragon Ball Z is a very polarizing show with people within the anime community. I do not like it and think that it has poor animation design. With that being said, anime comes in all different packages. There are an endless number of anime and there is sure to be one that fits everyone. This article is not to convince people to watch anime, it is merely to share anime that I watched and have enjoyed. If you are interested in receiving a few anime recommendations, then this is the article for you. For me personally, I enjoy a large range of genres, so the recommendation list will include a pretty board range.  

The listing of these anime will not be in any particular order. They are all equally recommended and the only person who can decide their hierarchy is you. 

1. Fruits Basket  

This is a story of an orphan girl named Tohru Honda. She meets two men, Yuki, and Shigure. Tohru learns that twelve members of the Soma family are possessed by the animals of the Chinese zodiac and are cursed to turn into their animal forms when they are weak, stressed, or when they are embraced by anyone of the opposite sex that is not possessed by a spirit of the zodiac. Tohru learns of the hardships and pain faced by the afflicted members of the Soma family, and through her own generous and loving nature, helps heal their emotional wounds. As she learns more about Yuki and the rest of the mysterious Soma family, Tohru also learns more about herself and how much others care for her. 

This anime came out in 1998, so you will notice a slight lack of advanced graphics. However, the storyline is very interesting and there are many unexpected turn of events. The genres for this anime are: Romantic Comedy, Slice of Life, and Supernatural. Also, in 2019 there was a reboot of the anime. I have not watched it so I cannot give any opinions about it. However, I watched the trailer and the graphics look pretty good and has the same essence as the original. 

1. Darker Than Black  

Ten years ago, an inscrutable and abnormal territory known as Hell’s Gate appeared in Tokyo, altering the sky and wreaking havoc on the landscape. The heavenly bodies disappeared, replaced by false stars. During this time, people who possess various special abilities emerged. Kept secret from the masses, these individuals, known as Contractors, are able to murder in cold blood. Various nations and organizations around the world use Contractors as spies and assassins, often resulting in violent battles for information. 

This anime is darker and for people who are more interested in action and suspense. The genres for this anime are: Mystery, Science Fiction, and Supernatural Thriller. This is the type of anime where it is hard to explain and you have to watch it for yourself to better understand. I think there are amazing scenes in this anime and the plot is very creative.  

1. Clannad  

This is a story of Tomoya Okazaki, who was a third-year high school student. After his mother died when he was young, his father turned to alcohol and gambling. This caused Tomoya to have frequent arguments with his father. One of their many fights resulted in Tomoya dislocating his shoulder and prevented him from playing on his basketball team. Tomoya’s father felt guilty after the incident and began treating him nicely. The next school year, Tomoya meets a soft-spoken girl named Nagisa Furukawa. She is a year older than him, but she had to repeat a grade due to being sick the previous year. Nagisa’s goal is to join the drama club but she learns it has been disbanded after the remaining students graduated. With a lot of time on his hands, Tomoya helps Nagisa reform the drama club and makes lasting friends while doing so.  

Clannad is an anime that pulls at the heart strings. This anime is notorious for making people cry due to many tragedies that occur. The genres include: Romance, Slice of Life, and Tragedy. I enjoyed this anime because the storyline is one that many people can relate to. There are a lot of obstacles that the characters must face, and it truly shows how your life can have unexpected ups and downs.  

1. Fairy Tail 

This anime is about a girl named Lucy, a runaway celestial wizard, who finds herself under the curse of a magic charm. Natsu Dragneel, a Dragon Slayer, and his sidekick, Happy, saves her from being sold on the black market. Causing massive property damage, is a specialty of Fairy Tail, as Lucy is soon to find out as she joins the magical guild. Lucy soon meets Gray and Erza, both are also wizards at Fairy Tail. Gray is an ice wizard with a cool personality and a special “hobby.” Erza, on the other hand, is a wizard with requip magic, which allows her to switch armor and weapons at any moment.  

Fairy Tail is an anime that has a lot action and battles. There is never a dull moment. There are comedic moments throughout the show along with serious moments and even a test of friendships. The genres include: Adventure and Fantasy. I enjoyed this anime because it was fun and has so many plots that are unexpected. There are characters who are portrayed as antagonist, but you begin to understand their backstories and see them evolve for the better.  

1. Vampire Knight  

Vampire Knight tells the story of Yuki Cross. The earliest thing she remembers is being attacked on a snowy night by a vampire, and being rescued by Kaname Kuran, who is also a vampire. The story takes place 10 years after that event, Yuki is now the adopted daughter of the Headmaster of Cross Academy. She and her longtime friend Zero Kiryu keep peace at the academy, making sure no problems arise between the Day Class (humans) and the Night Class (vampires). However, the peace they try to keep is fragile, and personal feelings begin to interrupt their duty.  

This anime has a very interesting storyline. There are many unexpected events, that sometimes makes you question the sanity of the characters. The genres for this anime are: Supernatural, Dark Fantasy and Romance. The ending of Vampire Knight is the most unpredictable and will you leave you stunned at what has taken place. If you enjoy vampires and romance, then you’ll enjoy this series.  

I have been watching anime since my younger childhood. It has always amazed me how much emotion can be portrayed by an animated character. There are many anime that have sophisticated storylines that many people can relate to. These were only a few of the anime that I recommend watching. I hope to continue sharing recommendations along with brining awareness to the anime community  

Stay tuned for my next article: Subbed V.S. Dubbed.  

Nadia is a junior Business Administration major attending the University of Scranton. She is an aspiring Business Consultant that has always had a passion for writing. She is from Philadelphia, has two cats, and a younger sister. In her freetime she likes watching horror films, listening to podcasts, and watching youtube. Through Her Campus, Nadia hopes to create work that evokes passion and creates a greater conversation.
Carly Long

Scranton '22

Carly is a senior studying Strategic Communications with a concentration in Legal Studies at The University of Scranton. This is her third year as CC at HC Scranton, which she hopes to continue to elevate. In her free time Carly can be found writing, working out, or buying new products to feed her skincare addiction.