AppleEmploy Hero PAID R2 Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
AppleEmploy Hero PAID R2 Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

American Song Contest 2022 and Everything You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

On March 21, 2022, the rise of a new singing contest was introduced to the states and territories: American Song Contest. The American Song Contest is a play on Eurovision, a singing contest that originated in 1950 to help bring both unity and cooperation between the European countries after the Second World War. 

Hosted by NBC, American Song Contest is personally co-hosted by Snoop Dogg and Kelly Clarkson, both well-known song artists/writers.  Starting at 8:00PM, Eastern Time, with two episodes so far, the show isan absolute hit consisting of 2.9M total viewers.  All 50 states and 5 U.S. territories take part in the program and can choose one individual/band to perform an original song.  Viewers are encouraged to vote live via TikTok, asc.vote.nbc.com, or on the NBC app.  The full, non-live episodes are available on the NBC app and on Hulu.

With each episode containing between 11-12 contestants, the audience has a chance to vote for the top three at the end of the episode.  The first episode consisted of Minnesota, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Wyoming, Indiana, Connecticut, Puerto Rico, Mississippi, Rhode Island, and Iowa. The second episode consisted of Ohio, New York, Kansas, North Dakota, Kentucky, Oregon, Montana, Virginia, Maine, Nebraska, and Virgin Islands. 

So far only a select few are chosen for the semi-finals.  Excited to see who wins?  Turn on your TV at 8:00PM next Monday or even search on TikTok “americansongcontest” to watch it live.  Here comes America’s version of Eurovision, get ready everyone, this isn’t your ordinary song contest.  Watch to find out what happens next and see how your state/territory does! Don’t forget to vote for who you believe deserves the title of the very first American Song Contest winner of 2022!

My name is Leandria Hercules and I am currently a senior at the University of Scranton, with a major in Journalism and Electronic Media and a minor in Business Communication. Currently I spend my free time on writing my upcoming book and achieving little steps towards my future goals. Feel free to add me on Instagram @leandria_ev831 where I post food content and my daily life!