bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Healthy Alternatives for Late-Night Cravings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

We have all been there. It’s 12:01 a.m. and you’re not even half way through all your work. Of course you hear your stomach growling. All you can think of is that bag of M&Ms in your desk. But you just worked REALLY hard at the gym and you don’t want to ruin your progress, right? So what do you do? Give in to the delicious temptation that you will regret later or let your stomach continue growling? Keep reading to find healthy and smart alternatives for that bag of M&Ms that will taste better, especially because you know it’s good for you!

1. An old classic… Poporn!

You’ve been eating it since you were just a child and most people forget about this super snack! Mostly associated with the movie theaters, covered in butter and good stuff, popcorn alone is a healthy snack option that fills you up fast! The fiber and polyphenols in popcorn actually HELPS you! If you’re not a big fan of plain popcorn, add a little seasoning to it, but not too much salt!

2. A different twist… Frozen blueberries!

This is one of my absolute favorites because as it warms in your mouth it feels like an ice pop or ice cream. You can either freeze them yourself or buy them frozen, but this cold and sweet treat will surely curb that ice cream craving late at night. Plus, a cup of blueberries provides you with a bunch of vitamin K that helps with your digestive tract and contains lots of disease-fighting antioxidants.

3. To stick with the frozen trend… Frozen grapes!

Just like those frozen blueberries, frozen grapes are a cold burst that you just can’t resist! Not only do grapes keep you hydrated because they are mostly water, but they also provide your body with essential fiber and potassium to keep you going throughout the night.

4. An Elvis special… Bananas and peanut butter!

We all know the miracle spread (that I live off of) is peanut butter, but adding it to your everyday banana makes this snack a powerful one! To start, bananas are a super fruit in my eyes. They provide lots of potassium that helps with muscle cramps and they also contains high levels of tryptophan that is converted into serotonin—the happy-mood neurotransmitter! Eating a banana = being a happy camper! Adding the peanut butter gives you a great source of protein and natural fats that your body needs.

5. PEANUT BUTTER AND EVERYTHING

Apples, celery, carrots, bread, pretzels. You name it- it probably will taste good with peanut butter. With that being said, adding this magical spread to fruit and veggies will add extra protein and make for a delicious snack!

6. Little pops of energy… Peanut butter and chocolate chip bites!

These are amazing. They take some time to prepare but if you put aside an hour or two, you’ll be set for all of those late night cravings! The best thing about these is the chocolate chips! Recipe is below!

Makes 15-20 bites

• 1 cup oats (any type of oats work!)

• 1/3 cup honey

• 1/2 cup peanut butter

• 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

• 1/4 cup roasted peanuts (chopped)

• Add all ingredients into a bowl, mix together well and refrigerate for about 10 minutes
  • While dough is in the refrigerator, line a baking sheet with parchment paper
  • Remove dough and scoop 2 tbsp. out, rolling in hands and placing on the parchment paper
  • Store in the fridge and take with you as needed for a perfect study snack!

7. It’s not just for hiking… Trail mix!

There is nothing better than making your own trail mix.  There’s no need to pick out the parts that you don’t like, by making it yourself you know exactly what goes in it. You can make a big batch all at once! In my trail mix I like to add peanuts, roasted almonds, Crasins, M&Ms, pretzel sticks and dried banana chips! You can add anything you want, which makes it an awesome snack and perfect to portion out and eat on the go (or in the lib)! Find your favorite pack in the POD!

8. HUMMUS & EVERYTHING!

It feels like the entire world is on a hummus craze! Just like peanut butter, hummus is good with all sorts of veggies and snack foods (peppers, cucumbers, pretzels, chips—you name it). Chickpeas, what hummus is made out of, provides much protein in a tiny package! It is also a complex carbohydrate so you have a lot of energy without the crash!

9. A healthy cookie? YES! Apple cookies!

If you think about it, apples are the perfect crunch we all desire in a snack food! So instead of slicing your apples vertically (top to bottom), try slicing them horizontally! After you remove the pit in the slice, add a spread of your choice! I like using peanut butter, Nutella, or a low-sugar caramel spread, but you can use anything you want! After you spread the apple with some good stuff, top it off with a little bit of raw oats, coconut shavings, crushed pretzels or anything your heart desires! This healthy “cookie” will leave you wanting more and more!

Hopefully after reading this, next time you reach for the junk food you will go for the peanut butter and a banana instead! Don’t forget, it’s okay to “treat-yo-self!” But if you’re looking for a healthier option, remember these 9 alternatives for your next late-night study sesh!

Straight from Central New Jersey, yes it does exist, Sarah is a senior biology major at the Univeristy of Scranton. When she's not studying, she enjoys rowing for the U, training for marathons that she forces herself to do, and having the college experience with her friends. Her favorite Starbucks drink is a venti iced coffee, black, because she likes to live dangerously. She's an owner of two goldfish whose names are Brandi and Bacardi, and she loves all things America. Xoxo
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so