8 Things I Learned from My Cat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

Cats are enigmas. One moment they are purring a hundred miles a minute, the next they want nothing to do with you. I didn’t realize the extent of this until a curly-eared puffball, Smokey, came into my life. Although, I can never be entirely sure where my paws stand with her, I learned a lot from my feline friend.

1. Anytime is a good time for naptime

It doesn’t matter that you have a million plus one tasks to complete today. If you’re not feeling it, take a nap! Two thirds of a cat’s life is spent sleeping- if that isn’t life goals, I don’t know what is.

2. Enjoy your time outside

Being an indoor cat, Smokey doesn’t spend too much time outside. Most of her world knowledge comes from what she absorbs from staring out the window. However, if the back door is open for a fraction of a second, she pounces to make it outside to the fresh air.

3. Take on challenges that are out of your comfort zone

Smokey channels her inner cheetah and attacks flies and outdoor garden rodents- creatures she clearly knows she can take on. These are her confidence boosters. However, when she locks eyes with that furry-tailed squirrel, you don’t know who will come out victorious. But at least she tries.

4. If the tree is too tall, don’t be afraid to ask others to help

Before Smokey realizes that the squirrel is now out of site, she finds herself on a wobbly tree branch. She is so caught up in a squirrel-chasing rampage that she doesn’t realize she is now 30 feet in the air. On the rare occasion she can’t maneuver her way back down, Smokey cries out for help until my dad props a ladder at the base of the tree and climbs it to save her.

5. Take the time to take care of yourself

Cats have a “I love you but I love me more” mentality. In between the crazy adventures, Smokey always makes sure to take her much-needed alone time. She licks herself clean from paw to back to stomach, and doesn’t miss a single furry spot. Don’t even think to disrupt her during this pamper sesh. Smokey time is Smokey time!

6. If you want something fight for it

Compared to dogs that tend to be more expressive toward their owners, cats are typically seen as “feisty.” But maybe cats aren’t as mean as we think. Maybe, cats just won’t take no for an answer. Our little companions are stubborn, but they fight for what they want. Smokey will meow for food until she’s fed, or scratch if she wants to be left alone and she always gets her way. 

7. Playtime keeps the soul young

Contrary to popular belief, cats do play with their human owners! Whether it’s a ball, a fake mouse or a feather on a string, Smokey will go at it for hours… or until the toy gets stuck under the couch.

8. Cuddle time is necessary, no matter how independent you are

Like most cats, Smokey is the epitome of the word “independent.” I am sure that if she could feed herself and take out her own litter box, she wouldn’t need me. Even though she is a huge advocate of doing her own thing, Smokey still looks for others to enjoy cuddling up with her after a long day.

Cats are enigmas, but they are also intelligent, graceful, passionate, intuitive, loving, independent, and daring. Whether you are a cat-fanatic or a felinophobe, I hope you gained a new appreciation for these crazy fur balls!

Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so