This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Scranton chapter.

The semester is halfway over and at times, we are all ready to throw in the towel.  Tests and quizzes are piling up and all nighters are becoming way too common. You try your hardest not to snooze in class, but you cannot help your eyes from freakishly fluttering.  Here are seven easy tips to help conquer your sleepy in-class haze.

1. Shed some layers
We all know rolling out of bed for your 8:30 class is tough.  All you want to do is stay snuggly in your sweats, but the warmer you are the sleepier you get.  Try taking off your sweatshirt during class. 

2. Have a bottle of cold water
Staying hydrated is one of the most important things to help you stay awake and focused.  A cold drink is an effortless way to give you the burst of energy you need to stay focused. 

3. Sit close in the front row
Being up close will force you to hear the professor loud and clear and you can interact during class to keep you awake.  Besides, nobody wants to get caught dozing off in front of he or she’s professor.

4. Coffee, Coffee, Coffee
Coffee is the classic pre-class pick me up.  Swing by Starbucks before your first class to get your early morning caffeine jolt.

5. Chew gum
Chewing gum helps you stay alert during class because you are repeatedly doing the same action and it keeps your mind flowing. 

6. Eat a good breakfast
Studies don’t lie! Eating breakfast is the best way to start your day.  It’ll improve your whole day and give you energy to get through all your classes.

The most important last tip:

7. Get a good night’s sleep
Being tired and yawning is your body’s way of telling you it’s time to charge your battery.  We get it, college has those nights when an all nighter is completely necessary, but sleep should always be a priority.  If you’re too sleepy in class things won’t register- as though you were sleeping anyway!

Erin Troy is a junior at the University of Scranton majoring in Strategic Communication with a concentration in public relations. She is excited to start her first year writing for the Her Campus Scranton team! She hopes to one day do PR for the New York Rangers, and live in Manhattan. This Long Island native loves shopping and Taylor Swift. Follow her on Instagram @erintroyy!
Dania El-Ghazal

Scranton '18

My whole biography realistically can't fit here so